General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash Brake light illumination

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 11:23 AM
Default Dash Brake light illumination

1993 Accord LX - 138,000 miles The brakelight next to the cruise conrol green light on the dash is illuminated when the car is running. The trunk open light is illuminated intermittantly which makes me suspect that I have an issue with an electrical harness. Does anyone have any sugestions to troubleshoot this issue. Fuses are fine and the other indicator lights illuminate when the ignition is engaged and turn off normally. I appreciate any suggestions.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Is the brake light that is turned on the one that turns on when the emergency brake is pulled up, or a brake light bulb is burned out?

I guess that you need to figure out if the trunk open light is due to the switch in the trunk latch, the cluster, or the wiring. There should be an electrical connector going to the trunk latch. If it is unplugged, then the trunk light should stay turned on. If you short the connector, then the light should stay turned off.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Default Emergency brake light

The light is for the emergency brake. I have confirmed that the emergency brake is not engaged. The truck lamp light only stays on on some occasions when I engage the ignition in a continuous motion. If I turn the ignition key until the dashboard lights illumunate, all the lights for the doors and trunk go out after a short pause. This is what leads me to think that it is an electrical issue but I'm not sure. This car has been in the hot/humid climate on the gulf coast so I am concerned that the insulation on the wire harnesses have lost flexibility and may have developed a crack in the insulation. I would appreciate any ideas as to possible causes for the dash emergency brake light remaining illuminated when the car is runing.