General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dashboard showing doors and trunk are open? Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 08:50 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Dashboard showing doors and trunk are open? Help

Hey guys, I have a 1991 Honda Accord LX (automatic) and its been an on and off problem where I will see on the dashboard that all 4 doors are open and the trunk is open. Sometimes it will flicker, it comes and goes. If I let the car sit after driving it for awhile and start it up, the lights will be off but if I tap the brakes and drive these lights come on.

Yes all the doors are closed and the trunk is properly closed, I've checked fuses, I've check for loose wiring, I've checked the grounds, I dont know what to do. Im trying to sell this car and so car every person who's looked at it is paranoid. I need to get rid of this problem. Any suggestions?

I forgot to add, new alternator and newer battery.

Last edited by kakarotoni; 06-21-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

If the wiring is ok, then the only two components that could cause this problem are the cluster board itself, or the integrated control unit (if your accord has one).

You can pick up a cluster at a junkyard for pretty cheap. You will probably want one from a 91 4 door with the same transmission as your (automatic or manual). Swap clusters and see if the problem goes away. If it does, you can disassemble the cluster to transfer the odometer and tripometer to the "new" cluster.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:53 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Not to be a newb, but where is the ICU located?

Old 06-21-2011, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

It is in the fuse box under driver's side of dash. It is #27 in the pic.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Alright well I went to the junk yard and grabbed a few Integrated Control Units and even the fuse box it sits in. I swapped them with my car and I still am getting the light indicators that are telling me all 4 doors are open including the trunk.

So its not the ICU that needs to be replaced, I tried 2 of them that I grabbed from the junk yard.

The thing is that I must add is that when the car starts up from a cold start you don't see the warning lights. After a few minutes the lights will come on saying all 4 doors are open including trunk. And sometimes pushing the brake pedal will trigger it too.

So considering that its now a consistent problem and not a flicker. I am not sure what to do next, swapping gauge clusters is an option but I dont think that will fix it. I dont think its a gauge cluster problem. I think there has to be a bad wire or ground that is telling the ICU that all 4 doors are open.

Is there something near the gear shifter that I could look into? Or a sensor in the doors? Any advice at this point would help, I am almost at the point of pulling the gauge cluster and removing the light just to say F*** it.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

I don't see one item causing the light to turn on, because each door is wired up individually. I can't remember if the cluster turns on all of those bulbs for an initial bulb check.

If you download the 91 shop manual from the online manuals thread in the DIY section, you can look at some of the wiring and troubleshooting. It is located from 16-129 to 16-134. The main gauge board is one of the items listed in the troubleshooting along with some wires you can inspect.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:31 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Same issue with my 91

Did you ever figure out why all those lights stay on? My 91 Wagon does the same thing and I have been searching for a soltion