General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Dealer unable to program TPMS system

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 11:07 AM
gonefromparker
Unregistered
Unhappy Dealer unable to program TPMS system

I have a 2009 Accord Coupe. Unfortunately, I was hit in the rear quarter panel passenger side. The damage was light but because the rim was scratch, it was replaced including a new TPMS sensor. I took it to the dealer to be programmed into the computer. The dealer first said that that they were unable to do so because the new sensor was bad, then after installing another new sensor, the dealer said that they overloaded the computer and that the computer was weak and in need of replacement. The TPMS system still not fix and the dealer has asked to bring the car another day. Is the dealer correct that the computer is bad or are they just incompetent and don’t know what they are doing?

Old 11-02-2009, 12:06 PM

Sounds like they are incompetent to me. And trying to charge you for unnecessary parts. If they screwed up the computer, they should have to fix it or replace it at no charge.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by 00AccordLX5spd
Sounds like they are incompetent to me. And trying to charge you for unnecessary parts. If they screwed up the computer, they should have to fix it or replace it at no charge.

I second this.

Can they explain to you how they "overloaded" the computer? ha ha ha

Nothing but a bunch of technical jargon to confuse consumers and to get more money for nothing.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Who was at-fault in the collision? Is the other guy's insurance still on the hook for damage to the TPMS system?

Old 11-02-2009, 01:28 PM
gonefromparker
Unregistered

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Who was at-fault in the collision? Is the other guy's insurance still on the hook for damage to the TPMS system?

The other car was at fault and its insurance has paid for the repairs including what the dealer has done so far. Do you think that small hit in the rear panel would have damaged the computer? By the way, the dealer said that all the other three sensors were reading correctly.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

I have no clue about the collision damage; don't even know where that computer is located in the car. I think that's for the dealer & insurance to fight over. If dealer will say that it was CAUSED by the collision, then the insurance should pay it.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:42 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If you are not paying I would let the dealership sort it out. They have a process they use and changing the computer at this point may be next on the list. At some point they will call the Honda Tech line.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:46 AM

Yeah the insurance wont pay the dealer for screwing it up. So the dealer will probably look to you (Don't give in though). I am battling one right now where a repair shop screwed up removing undamaged windows from a 07 Impala. They claim you can't remove the windows without damageing the mouldings, and the mouldings do not come separate. The truth is: you have to have the right equipment to remove the windows without damaging the mouldings. We have shops that have the correct equipment do it all the time.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:17 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

After working in a dealer I found they have pretty much a set course for finding solutions and at key times they will replace a part. You would think on a 2009 they would find a way to warranty the part unless it has physical damage and if it does the insurance company should be on the hook for the cost.
My first Honda a 87 Prelude had an electrical check engine light and poor performance problem. They replaced a lot of parts in trying to sort it out and I was working there at the time. The top guy didn’t want to work on it anymore which turned out to be a good thing. The rookie who took over knew he was in over his head and called the tech line. It was just a wire that was loose in a wire connector and took zero parts and five minutes to replace.