General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Disc Brake Pad Drag Reduction Clip

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 02:12 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dr. Drivability
so is there a warning light on the handle bars when your brake fluid gets low?
Yeah, I light goes on in my head when this gets low.

Attached Thumbnails Disc Brake Pad Drag Reduction Clip-download.jpg  
Old 06-18-2013, 02:22 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Does the master cylinder on the bike have a vent that opens to the reservoir when you release the brakes? On a car, that vent provides the auto-adjustment that you need as the pads wear down. But that vent would also allow the springs to COMPLETELY retract the pistons and then your pedal would go to the floor on the first pump.
No the reservoir does not have a vent. There is this, sort of, diaphragm that is also the gasket that provides a bit of air space above the fluid chamber, it's on the hand lever.
I may get the springs for the Accord, they seem like a good idea, because I seem to go through pads a lot.
But the A/C compressor clutch bearing is asking for a repair more urgently than the brakes, this month.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:19 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Well I put the anti-drag clips on when I did a rear brake job today. Not much to report yet, as I have one driven a few miles to bed in the pads.
You need to use the clamp, while you put the caliper into place to keep the pads from springing back out. Raybestos might be recommending anti drag clips because the shims on the back of the pads seem thicker than the TQ pads I have been using.
ahh... yeah, I know, a lot of things are getting corroded, due to the Buffalo weather.

Attached Thumbnails Disc Brake Pad Drag Reduction Clip-photo.jpg  
Old 09-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I purchased OEM front brake pad replacements for my 2006 Acura TSX and they came w/ these springs. My 2006 Acura shop manual does not mention or show how they install. However after looking at the springs, I found the small holes in outer edge of the pads where they engage.

The springs provide a slight unloading force to retract the pads by a very small "slack". They would not compress a piston. I decided to install them since they show up in parts for later model TSX's.

This is a simple device, but may make a tiny difference in mpg which was driver for developing the spring.

good luck