General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Distributor Issue(CEL is on)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 01:14 AM
Default Distributor Issue(CEL is on)

The good ol' check engine light is back on. The code that is given is P1382, which means Cylinder Position Sensor no signal. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Where the sensor is located? What parts do I need to buy to fix this? Does anyone have a link for a step by step DIY? Does anyone know of a good inexpensive mechanic in the St. Louis area to change out the distributor on my '96 Accord? I have searched and have found nothing on a DIY and I do not want to pay Firestone $600 bucks for the install and the distributor. I appreciate your time. Thank you all for your help.

Last edited by 96hondaaccord; 12-21-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:35 PM

Anyone? Anyone?

Old 12-21-2009, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

The sensor is either part of the distributor or mounted on the engine block under the timing belt cover.

If it is a sensor in the distributor, then you have to replace the distributor housing. Its a pretty simple DIY procedure.

If it is one that i under the timing belt cover, then I you will have to shop around for the best deal.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator

Down at the front pulley is the CKP & TDC sensors, so that leaves the CYP sensor in the distributor.

Changing the distributor is pretty easy, just bolts on. If you get a distributor housing (without ignitor) then you have to swap your old ignitor into the new distributor (#7 in the picture). Then bolt the distributor to the engine.

Notice that the end of the distributor shaft has a blade that's a bit off-center. Look into the hole where it goes, you'll see the corresponding slot in the end of the camshaft. Make sure you spin the distributor shaft to match that off-center slot. It should go in nicely. I've heard that you CAN get it in backwards if you force it.

Since the TDC sensor is down at the crank, I THINK you don't have to worry about spark timing. Turning the distributor within it's slotted mounting holes won't change the spark timing.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:33 PM

Thank you very much Jim. I have heard you have to adjust the timing for a new distributor. You will need a timing light and such. Is this true or is it really just swap it and drive away? I will be buying a whole new distributor as that is what I have been told is wrong, but do not want to pay the high prices to get it swapped out. Would a distributor from O' Rielly's or Advance Auto Parts work? I was told I needed to get an OEM one that is over 300 bucks from the dealer. Is this true? Thanks again.

Last edited by 96hondaaccord; 12-22-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator

Any distributor will WORK - it's the lifespan. Some cheaper parts from chain stores don't last as long, but certain brands are good. I don't really know which is which. A friend of ours got an AutoZone distributor for her Civic & it's working OK - but it's only been about a year. Get one with a GOOD warranty. If you swap distributors yourself, that takes less time than making an appointment with a mechanic.

You might(?) be able to get a distributor "core" for cheaper. Basically just #4 in that picture. The other stuff can swap over from your.

If your Accord was a couple years older, you'd have to adjust the spark timing just like you said. Since the TDC sensor is located down at the crankshaft pulley, I think the computer uses that. In fact, starting 1998 or so, the distributors don't even have slotted mounting holes any more.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:50 PM

Thanks Jim for all your assistance. I swapped out the distributor with a new one from Advance Auto Parts and performed the swap per your instructions and it worked great. Car is running excellent. Thanks again.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:29 AM

I had the same issue on my 96 Accord LX as the others on this thread. I also changed out the distributor with a new one for about $150 from 1AAuto and the car is working great. As others said, there's no need to adjust the timing. Thanks to everyone who helped out!

Last edited by redbull-1; 08-27-2014 at 08:36 AM.