General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Door switch working or not?

Old 10-08-2007, 08:26 PM
Default Door switch working or not?

I have a 97 honda accord LX coupe. Whenever I open my passenger door, the dome light will come on as it should but this doesnt work with the drivers door. (Yes,my dome light is set to activate when adoor is open)I automatically assumed that the drivers side door switch was bad andits replacementwould solve the problem. Then I realized that if my headlights are on, keys are in ignition or what have you, I get a chime/beep when I open the drivers door. So this leads me to believe the switch is still functioning correctly. Why would my dome light not activate when the drivers door opens yet all the other features work when the door is open? Even the instrument panel will let me know if the drivers door is ajar. Any ideas? Thanks.

Oh, and I tried searching, but I couldnt find anything specific to this.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:10 PM
JDMSiR94
Unregistered
Default RE: Door switch working or not?

Yeah that does sound like a doozy. There might be two different circuts for your dome light and your door ajar switch. Check that first.If there ismake sure there make sure that there is a proper gorund for the dome light switch, that would be my first guess, but dont hold me to it. Electrical prombles are the worst, especially trying to explain over the internet.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:50 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

on the door pillar ( back side ) there is a slide switch that is for the dome lite,, it grounds the system when switch is pushed in,, I have seen a few of those switches stick thus not going in all the way,, I have seen them just go bad ,, and i have seen the ground wire behing the switch cause a problem,, and i have seen a bit of corrosion on the back side of the switch

Open the door, slide the switch by hand a few times,, make sure it slides all the way in, if it does,, remove the phillip screw, remove the switch , make sure there is no corrosion behing it, also chk to see if ground wire is attached , if it is ,, unplug the switch , ground the wire.. if dome lite comes on, you got a bad switch ..

Old 10-09-2007, 01:56 AM

Thanks guys.. Ill check the ideas out and keep you posted!

Old 10-09-2007, 11:55 AM

does the door light on the dash work?
or the courtesy lights on the drivers door?

i was looking at a wiring diagram, and there is a seperate mechanism for the drivers door than the other doors. looks like either a relay or a fuse... but whatever it is its most likely the cause of the problem. might just be a plug, but considering its on only the drivers door and goes to the light control it leads me to believe thats the main cause.

heres a pic:

Old 10-11-2007, 06:17 PM

The dash lights do work. If my drivers door is open, both my courtesy light and dash 'door ajar' lights are on.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:28 PM

did you do what i adviced you to do on previous reply ???

Old 10-11-2007, 07:04 PM

I pm'd you desert