General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical.....I think?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 04:36 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Electrical.....I think?

This maybe a little lengthy post but I want to cover everything. I few days ago the battery light on the dash came on when I first started the car but after driving a few minutes or several miles the light would go out. Never had a problem with starting or the car running. This continued for a 2 - 3 days, I connected my tester to the battery and it said the battery and the alternator were OK. I decided to take the battery out of the car and go to Autozone to have it tested, was told it was fine, the store employee said but the battery back and bring in the car which the would check the alternator with it still in the car. Did that yesterday and was told that both were fine. Today I started the car and the same thing......battery light on for a few miles, car running fine down the highway going to work, THEN..........I noticed that the radio went out and both the speedometer and tach both went to zero. Car continued to have power for a few more miles and then I lost everything and was stranded. Popped the hood and smelled burning and it looked like a very little bit a smoke from the alternator area, hard to see just where it was coming from since it was still dark outside. I also noticed that while sitting on the side of the road my hazzard flashers were not always working. Even though Autozone said the alternator was OK I'm wondering if maybe thats the problem after all? Thanks for any help in advance.

1990 Accord 2.2L
4 door sedan

Old 02-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Electrical.....I think?

And now the rest of the story? Did you jump start the battery and drive it home?
I'd have to say that if smoke was coming out of the ALT, it now qualifys as a Crispy Critter. Go get one from a salvage yard, and try again

Old 02-08-2008, 07:56 PM
Newest Of Newbies

No I did not jump start the car, I towed it home. After looking the car over it doesn't appear to the eye that anything is fried. I did try to start the car and it would not start. I didn't try messing with anything else until I could get some advise from this forum.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:48 PM

autozone would not bea definitive source of comfort in my opinion. from what you said (with the burning smoky problem) i'd replace the alternator and test the battery at a dealer or trusted shop with honda parts if you don't see any visual problem with the wiring.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:16 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Replaced the alternator and everything seems to be working OK. Thanks for all the help.