General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emmission Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 08:51 AM
Default Emmission Light

Over the weekend the emission light came on. Just got gas and check the cap light the vehicle manual suggested. I now notice that the vehicle bogs down if I go too fast, its like is studders, if that makes any sense. Of course, it does this if the a/c is on. I turned off the a/c and it doesn't do it unless I have to speed up fast and then it bogs down.
Some people are saying that its the transmission, but I don't think so since it didn't do it when a/c was off until I had to speed up to get into traffic. Any suggestions on what it could be and what to do?
Thanks
2003 Honda CRV/4door/4cylander/100,000

Old 04-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

You mean the Check Engine Light or Malfunction Indicator Light, not emission light. Anyways, go to an Autozone, etc., they can read the trouble code for you. Get the actual number, then posted it on this forum and we can go from there.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:01 PM
Smile Malfunction Indicator Light

It is the Malfunciton Indicator Light. I will go to Auto Zone and see about getting the code for the reason the light came on. As soon as I get the code, I will continue.... thanks for your help.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:25 AM
Default Malfunction Indicator Light

I went to Auto Zone yesterday and the code that showed up was P1259.

Now what??? VTEC system malfunction - what is this...

It gave 4 probable causes: 1. Open or short circuit condition2. VTEC solenoid valve fault 3. VTEC pressure switch fault 4. Blocked oil passage

Can someone explain these to me? Sounds very, very serious!
Thanks.

mbpatrick
03 Honda CRV

Old 04-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

What car are we talking about here?
Is it a CRV?

The Vtech code seems to pop up alot around here and I know there is what seems like an easy procedure to fix it.
Because I do not have a V-Tech motor I tend to skip over those threads.
Let's see what happens when I type that code into the search bar at the top of the forum.
Be right back.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Old 04-04-2012, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mbpatrick
I went to Auto Zone yesterday and the code that showed up was P1259.

Now what??? VTEC system malfunction - what is this...

It gave 4 probable causes: 1. Open or short circuit condition2. VTEC solenoid valve fault 3. VTEC pressure switch fault 4. Blocked oil passage

Can someone explain these to me? Sounds very, very serious!
Thanks.

mbpatrick
03 Honda CRV
First thing to do is check the oil level. Then get the oil changed and use a good quality oil filter, for example, a Honda filter. You may want to reset the PCM (computer) by removing the negative battery cable and then reconnecting. Afterward, you will need your radio code for this to get the radio working again. (There is a back-up fuse that can be pulled instead of disconnecting the negative battery cable; however, I don't have the information on the fuse number right now.)

If the code comes back a little while later after the oil change, then it may just be the VTEC oil pressure switch needing replacement.

This following info. is the service diagnostic procedures for your car; however, the oil change and using a good quality filter (to ensure proper oil flow) should be done first.

2003 CR-V - DTC Troubleshooting: P1259 (22)
DTC P1259: VTEC System Malfunction

Reset the ECM/PCM.

1. Check the engine oil level, and refill if necessary. Check for external damage to the oil pan.

2. Start the engine. Hold the engine at 3,000 rpm with no load (in Park or neutral) until the radiator fan comes on.

3. Road test the vehicle:

Accelerate in 1st gear to an engine speed over 4,000 rpm. Hold the speed for at least 2 seconds. If DTC P1259 is not repeated during the first road test, repeat the test two more times.

4. Is DTC P1259 indicated? YES - Go to step 5.

NO - Intermittent failure, system is OK at this time. Check the oil consumption if oil was added in step 2. Check for poor connections or loose terminals at the VTEC solenoid valve, VTEC oil pressure switch, and at the ECM/PCM.■

5. Turn the ignition switch OFF.

6. Disconnect the VTEC oil pressure switch 2P connector.

7. Check for continuity between VTEC oil pressure switch 2P connector terminals No. 1 and No. 2.

Is there continuity? YES - Go to step 8.

NO - Replace the VTEC oil pressure switch.■

8. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).

9. Measure voltage between VTEC oil pressure switch 2P connector terminal No. 1 and body ground.

Is there battery voltage? YES - Go to step 14.

NO - Go to step 10.

10. Measure voltage between ECM/PCM connector terminal B9 and body ground.

Is there battery voltage? YES - Repair open in the wire between the VTEC oil pressure switch and the ECM/PCM (B9).■

NO - Go to step 11.

11. Turn the ignition switch OFF.

12. Disconnect ECM/PCM connector B (24P).

13. Check for continuity between ECM/PCM connector terminal B9 and body ground.

Is there continuity? YES - Repair short in the wire between the VTEC oil pressure switch and the ECM/PCM (B9).■

NO - Update the ECM/PCM if it does not have the latest software, or substitute a known-good ECM/PCM, then recheck. If the symptom/indication goes away with a known-good ECM/PCM, replace the original ECM/PCM.■

14. Measure voltage between VTEC oil pressure switch 2P connector terminals No. 1 and No. 2.

Is there battery voltage? YES - Go to step 15.

NO - Repair open in the wire between the VTEC oil pressure switch and G101.■

15. Turn the ignition switch OFF.

16. Disconnect the VTEC solenoid valve 2P connector.

17. Check for resistance between VTEC solenoid valve 2P connector terminals No. 1 and No. 2.

Is there 14-30 W? YES - Go to step 18.

NO - Replace the VTEC solenoid valve.■

18. Remove the VTEC oil pressure switch (A) and install the special tools as shown, then reinstall the VTEC oil pressure switch.

19. Reconnect the VTEC solenoid valve 2P connector and VTEC oil pressure switch 2P connector.

20. Connect a tachometer or the scan tool or the HDS to the DLC.

21. Start the engine. Hold the engine at 3,000 rpm with no load (in Park or neutral) until the radiator fan comes on.

22. Check the oil pressure at engine speeds of 1,000 and 2,000 rpm. Keep the measuring time as short as possible (less than 1 minute) because the engine is running with no load.

Is the oil pressure below 49 kPa (0.5 kgf/cm2, 7 psi)? YES - Go to step 23.

NO - Inspect the VTEC solenoid valve.■

23. Turn the ignition switch OFF.

24. Disconnect the VTEC solenoid valve 2P connector.

25. Attach the battery positive terminal to VTEC solenoid valve 2P connector terminal No. 2.

26. Start the engine, then connect the battery negative terminal to VTEC solenoid valve 2P connector terminal No. 1, and check the oil pressure at an engine speed of 3,000 rpm.

Is the oil pressure above 390 kPa (4.0 kgf/cm2, 57 psi)? YES - Go to step 27.

NO - Inspect the VTEC solenoid valve. If the valve is OK, check the engine oil pressure.■

27. With the battery terminals still connected to the VTEC solenoid valve connector, measure voltage between ECM/PCM connector terminal B9 and body ground.

Is there battery voltage above 4,000 rpm? YES - Go to step 28.

NO - Replace the VTEC oil pressure switch.■

28. Turn the ignition switch OFF.

29. Disconnect the battery terminals from the VTEC solenoid valve terminal connector.

30. Disconnect ECM/PCM connector B (24P).

31. Check for continuity between ECM/PCM connector terminal B15 and body ground.

Is there continuity? YES - Repair short in the wire between the VTEC solenoid valve and the ECM/PCM (B15).■

NO - Go to step 32.

32. Connect VTEC solenoid valve 2P connector terminal No. 2 to body ground with a jumper wire.

33. Check for continuity between ECM/PCM connector terminal B15 and body ground.

Is there continuity? YES - Update the ECM/PCM if it does not have the latest software, or substitute a known-good ECM/PCM, then recheck. If the symptom/indication goes away with a known-good ECM/PCM, replace the original ECM/PCM.■

NO - Repair open in the wire between the VTEC solenoid valve and the ECM/PCM (B15).

Old 04-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Smile Malfunction Indicator Light

Thanks for the information. I will start with checking oil level. I still have 2000 miles to go before I need an oil change but you never know.

If it is the Vtec switch or the other things, how expensive are these repairs?
The vehicle is 2003 Honda CRV, with an error code of P1259.

Thanks,
mary beth patrick

Old 04-06-2012, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mbpatrick
Thanks for the information. I will start with checking oil level. I still have 2000 miles to go before I need an oil change but you never know.

If it is the Vtec switch or the other things, how expensive are these repairs?
The vehicle is 2003 Honda CRV, with an error code of P1259.

Thanks,
mary beth patrick
Don't wait the 2,000 mile before changing the oil, as there is already a problem indicated related to oil/oil pressure. Proper oil flow is necessary; so, if the oil filter, etc. is not flowing correctly, it may cause some damage. Some quicky oil change places have been known to not always change the oil filter at every oil change.

If the light comes back after changing the oil and oil filter, then I would get the screen (#5 in the attached picture) in the V-tec solenoid valve assembly cleaned or replaced. #4 is the V-tec solenoid valve assembly.

The v-tec oil pressure switch is #13.

Picture (#5 )- The filter screen Honda part number is 15815-RAA-A02 and list for $3.22. This may be all that is needed.

Otherwise, it may be the V-tec solenoid valve assembly (#4), Honda part number is 15810-RAA-A03 which list for $109.77. This part includes the filter screen, oil pressure switch, etc. - If you get this part, there is no need to separately buy the oil pressure switch, screen, etc.

If it was only the oil pressure switch (#13), the Honda part number is 37250-PNE-G01 and list for $60.40. Do not replace just this switch alone, unless an electrical continuity test showed no continuity.

Internet Honda parts dealers like Bernardi Honda sells the parts for less. Local dealerships tend to mark-up over the list price.

Attached Thumbnails Emmission Light-vtec-oil-control-valve-assembly.jpg  

Last edited by redbull-1; 04-06-2012 at 02:21 PM.