General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine help please.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 11:13 AM
Question engine help please.

Hi. I'm not quite sure if the has been posted about or not having really seen anything like what's wrong with my car. First off I recently bought a 92 accord DX 5speed with 230,000 miles on it. It had an exhaust leak when I got it so I fixed that but only to discover it had a knock. I haven't checked anything because I don't know where to start exactly (sounds like right side of motor, not sure if top or bottom). but Plugs and wires also had oil on them which I've read is a common problem with these cars. The oil was a quart low, added oil and knock went away for the most part. Car runs and drives but knocks at 1500rpm then pretty much goes away. I've been told to try thicker oil (synthetic)and Lucas oil treatment to see if that takes car of it. But I don't know much about cars. My other option is to swap motors with another car that I bought for the motor with intentions of swapping, just didn't wanna have to do it right away. Its a wrecked (tboned on passenger side)91 accord lx automatic with 130,000 miles that was well taken car of. So my other question if other motor is bad will the swap bolt in and hook up with no problems electrically? Thanks for any help.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:59 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by dwirth23
it had a knock...(sounds like right side of motor, not sure if top or bottom).
FYI, most any auto parts store sell mechanics stethoscope which works very well for identifying noise locations
(I got mine @ local Harbor Freight Tools, <$10).

I tried synthetic oil (Amsoil) for 1st time on '93 @ 185K miles; very quickly caused oil leak
into distributor in ~500 miles. New dist. followed. My experience says stick with plain jane oil.

Last edited by UhOh; 01-21-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:44 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I've tried Lucas on many occations on my mudd truck due to high Rpms for extended periods in a mud hole and it helped take alot of knock out of it and saved me a few months on a rebuild. I've rebuilt it 3 times already and the last time with Lucas I noticed less damage to the motor then usual. And no it didn't blow up cause Lucas. It blew up cause I kept it @ 7000rpm for 20 minutes trying to get unstuck. Also if u have oil down in the plug hole where the wire goes in. That is sometimes the bolts that bolt down the cam come loose and it leaks oil into the top of the spark plugs. Also it can cause a knock cause the cam is flopping around a bit and not letting all the valves work properly causing them to tap pretty good too. Did the work on my buddy's car with sorta the same symptoms. I would check that probably first. If your mechanical inclined its pretty easy and actually a common thing I've found when working on my buddy's Honda's those bolts are never real tight when I check everyones. If oil is on top of all the plugs and all the wire boots. I would lean to that probably