General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine trouble

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Default engine trouble

hello
i've got a 1999 accord with approx 210k miles and im developing an issue with oil collecting in my radiator overflow tank . at this time it seems to be just a slight ammount but none the less its there. I've changed out the radiator thinking there might be a problem with auto trans cooler. Is there or has there been issues like this that this is a head gasket problem or an issue with the head itself.
thank you dale

Old 11-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I moved your post to correct forum for better response.

Head gasket problems are fairly rare but do occour. I had to replace my 94EX head gasket once, for no apparent reason (no overheating that I was aware of). Oil in water, water in oil, missing, overheating, etc. can all be symtomatic of failed head gasket. Oil in the water is pretty definitive, if you rule out AT fluid.

There is a chemical test you can perform that will detect combustion gases in the coolant, however w/ oil contamination, that may not provide much new info.

Head gasket job is not a terrible DIY, but is labor intensive. Plan on most of a weekend. Recommend having the head rebuilt completely, new valve stem seals, valves seated, head checked for cracks, and shaved perfectly flat.

See DIY forum for tips and procedures, check youtube for good videos to prepare youself. Get an OEM shop manual. Hard copy, emanual (seller automanualsource on ebay), check DIY forum "Online Manuals" post for links to free download manuals.

good luck