General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fan noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 04:18 AM
Default Fan noise

Hi Guys and Gals,

I have a 2000 Honda Accord SE, and it has about 60K miles on it now.
Starting a couple of months ago, the fan noise has started to increase a bit.
I had hardly noticed before, but it is becoming bothersome even when the
fan speed is at "1". Of course, with the fan off, the noise goes away too.

The sound is somewhat like a spinning "whirling" sound.
Something like a CD spinninga bit unevenly in the CD player.

I've done some searching on the forum and have seen that it may have something to do with the timing belt.
I haven't gone in for a timing belt change yet.

Any suggestions on how Imight be able to get rid of this noise??
(without going into the shop and spending huge amounts of money!!!)

Thanks in advance!!

Old 03-07-2007, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Fan noise

Not the timing belt. That would make the noise whenever the engine is running. The timing belt doesn't know (or care) whether the ventilation fan is running. Timing belt is not normally due until 90k miles anyway.

You may have to take off the glovebox & some trim to get at the fan. Look for the DIY instructionsabout replacing the cabin-air-filter. Starting from there, try to gain access to the fan. Look for crud, leaves, or small animals stuck in the fan. Or maybe it's simply the fan motor shaft needs some lubrication...

Old 03-07-2007, 08:51 PM

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your suggestion.
I turned up the fan speed up to "4", and I definitely hear clutter bouncing around in there intermittently.
I think I will try to get to the cabin-air-filter.

Now, when I do this, how good is my access to the fan?
Am I able to get all the crud out of there with my bare hands?

Old 03-07-2007, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Actually, the access to the fan is poor, so you can't simply stop when you get to the cabin filter. I meant for that procedureto be the starting point. I'm not sure how much more you have to remove to get at the blower.

Here's a picture of the fan housing. Looks like the fan comes out the bottom, if you can get at the round housing. I haven't had to take mine out yet, so I'm a little vague.

Maybe if you can get close, stick a scrap of garden hose onto a shop-vac, use that to reach in thru the ductwork & vacuum out the blower??

Old 03-07-2007, 10:02 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

Actually, the access to the fan is poor, so you can't simply stop when you get to the cabin filter. I meant for that procedureto be the starting point. I'm not sure how much more you have to remove to get at the blower.

Here's a picture of the fan housing. Looks like the fan comes out the bottom, if you can get at the round housing. I haven't had to take mine out yet, so I'm a little vague.

Maybe if you can get close, stick a scrap of garden hose onto a shop-vac, use that to reach in thru the ductwork & vacuum out the blower??
as Jim says there might be something inside the blower motor i have seen it a lot of times,,( leaves paper, ) etc etc. believe it or not that is a good place for pac-rats to make a nest ... the motor comes out real easy 3 screws 8 mm heads i believe ,, from underneath the dash and a connector and it is out , remove any debris you find and reinstall

to replace the cabin filter the glove box has to come out ,,+ a few panels go to our DIY section there is a post on replacing the cabin filter ,
if you need further help let us know ..

Old 03-07-2007, 10:24 PM

Thanks for the input guys.

So, let me get this straight.
In order for me to get to the blower fan, first I have to take the glove compartment off
(yes, I found the instructions in the DIY portion, thanks deserthonda!),
and then I have to take the cabin-air-filters out.
After taking the cabin-air-filters out, I should be able to remove the bottom portion
of the housing in the attached diagram, right?

Just want to make sure! Thanks again!
(The job may seem simple enough, but is complicated for me. I am almost tempted to
just get a 60K maintenence at the Honda Dealership, and let them take care of it. Filter and all!)

Old 03-07-2007, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: tiger94

Thanks for the input guys.

So, let me get this straight.
In order for me to get to the blower fan, first I have to take the glove compartment off
(yes, I found the instructions in the DIY portion, thanks deserthonda!),
and then I have to take the cabin-air-filters out.
After taking the cabin-air-filters out, I should be able to remove the bottom portion
of the housing in the attached diagram, right?

Just want to make sure! Thanks again!
(The job may seem simple enough, but is complicated for me. I am almost tempted to
just get a 60K maintenence at the Honda Dealership, and let them take care of it. Filter and all!)
Nope, you can drop out the blower motor without going thru the cabin air filter routine.
Go dash diving on the passengerside floor, you can find the bottom of the blower motor, and the three phillips/8mm head bolts that hold the blower motor to the duct.
Unplug the blower motor connection, remove the 3 screws and the blower motor will drop down.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:19 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks, guys. Sounds like it's easier than whatI thought...