General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front suspension thumping noise please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 12:32 AM
Default thank you

I just got this 99 honda and it has the same noise. I did all new brakes, Ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, sway bar links, front control arm bushings, everything new and still makes noise. I took out my sway bar bushings and they didn't look real bad so I hope this does it. I will let you know. This is the best thing I have found online and I have been looking for a couple weeks. I know it is a old post. Thx Jeff

Old 07-23-2012, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

There's a radius rod going forward from the lower-control-arm, attaching way forward somewhere in the subframe. Don't forget to check out the rubber bushings where that attaches at the forward end.

edit...
oops, I should've read the first page of this old thread where I already suggested that...

Old 07-23-2012, 10:27 AM

Thx jim I did the radius rod 2 days ago and didn't help at all. It was a bigger job due to bolts not wanting to come off. It was frustrating to due all this work and now it sounds a little worse. brakes, Ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, sway bar links, front control arm(radius) bushings. Ordered sway bar bushings and will get them in tomorrow and I will let you know how it goes. I plan on running this car for a while so I did all this work to tighten everything up so I can drive it with no worries. But the sound is driven me crazy. Jeff

Old 08-12-2012, 01:10 AM

It was my front control arm bushing. It was hard to tell that was my problem but when I took it out it was coming apart big time. Well at least my front end is all new now. But this was the only thing that was making the noise. I hope this helps someone...

Old 08-12-2012, 02:02 AM
Super Moderator

Was it the lower or upper control arm bushing?

Old 08-12-2012, 09:34 AM

sry it was the lower one. I got a kit off ebay and it came with the whole upper control arm, ball joint, tie rods, sway bar links, inner and outer tie rods. etc. so I did all that stuff and some more but all the noise was coming from that lower bushing the whole time. but hey it is all new now.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:53 AM

I also just picked up a 2000 Accord EX V6 160k. When I test drove it, it was rattling on the front whenever I hit bumps. Looked under the car and wiggled the sway bar and it was loose at the bushings. Now that I have the car, I replaced the bushings (27.2 mm from NAPA. Autozone and O'reilly only have 26 mm). That stopped the noise. The old bushing looked ok but were obviously worn.

So far it rides much better. Does not ride as tight as my 07. Just wondering what else to check around the suspension.

I might replace the links too since they look like the original. I was looking around and can only find greasable links. The OE are sealed which I prefer so I don't have to fiddle with the greasing.