General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Line and Tank Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 07:07 PM
Question Fuel Line and Tank Replacement

So after my brake lines broke it may me wonder about my fuel lines. I asked the mechanic and he said they were pretty bad. They should be replaced soon. As well as the tank.
Im gonna get a tank from a junkyard. But need to know some stuff about the lines.
Im unsure of what my options are with the fuel lines or how to connect them since I can't find the original fuel lines for sale. I know I would have to buy a role of fuel line but how to I connect it?

Also what type and size line do I use?

And is there anything special I have to do other than reinstall, fill with gas and then prime/start the car?

Old 05-22-2013, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

They sell the factory lines at the dealership. I broke one once, think I paid $100ish for the one line. Comes all pre bent, save you some time and frustration.

There is the feed line and the return line.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:34 PM

What about the vent line? Or should that not be an issue?

Im not too crazy about a prebent line just because right now, money is more valuable than time.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Right, there's 3 lines (supply return & vent). Same corrosion would probably be on all 3.

Only the supply line is under pressure, so that's the only one you have to be careful about connections (so they don't come apart under pressure). I think it might be flared similar to the brake lines.

I think the return line & vent line & vent line simply have little bubbles flared into the end, and use a rubber hose & hose clamp.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:29 PM

Rubber hose and hose clamps to join the new hoses to all three or just the return and vent? And use a stronger connection for the supply?

Old 05-24-2013, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

NOT for the (pressurized) supply line. It will fit into the fuel filter with something like a flare-fitting. Don't remember what's at the rear of the supply line, maybe a banjo union??

Old 05-24-2013, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

#13 is the supply line. It looks like flare-fittings on both ends.

Attached Thumbnails Fuel Line and Tank Replacement-1997-fuel-pipes.jpg  
Old 05-25-2013, 10:54 AM

I see connectors for fuel lines that I think almost crimp the line. Im thinking cut as close to the ends where its not rusted and use the connectors? I think at the fuel filter its threaded which is why Im not sure where to go with this since Itll be impossible to get the metric thread. When I changed the fuel filter it was the thread on the filter onto the line and then the second bolt would tighten up against the filter.

What size are the fuel lines? I cant find an answer looking through the haynes and fsm as well as taking the part number and searching online. Im thinking a 3/8" would suffice since its hard to get metric but Im not sure.

Im budgeting $35 for the tank (junkyard- theres a good chance I can find one without rust), $35 for the line and fittings and $45 for the pump. And a little extra for paint to protect the tank.

Last edited by RobinsonRicer; 05-25-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:23 PM

Nevermind it may be a flare fitting. I think if I cant find a good condition fuel line at the junkyard when I get the tank i will do steel lines cut at the good points and do flare fittings.