General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fumoto oil drain valve

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 02:31 PM
Default Fumoto oil drain valve

I installed one of these at my last oil change. I was talking with a mechanic who works for Honda and he told me that the threads wear out on the oil pan because of the number of times the oil is changed over 100K+ miles. This valve should facilitate maintenance and save the threads on the pan.

FUMOTO ENGINEERING

Old 01-31-2012, 04:00 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I use a cheaper version of that on my off road buggy.
I bought it at Harbor Freight for less than $10
I put it on my buggy as I have a large skid plate that would get covered in oil.
I never thought about putting one on my Honda - interesting concept you have about the threads getting wore off but in all my years I have never seen that happen yet.
It does make changing your oil quick and easy, however.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by crispin
interesting concept you have about the threads getting wore off but in all my years I have never seen that happen yet.
Yep. I driven Hondas for hundreds of thousands of miles (probably collectively around 500,000 miles on Hondas) and the threads were fine. This does not include me driving other American and European cars too. I also change my oil more frequently than most people; so, that is not the case. On others Hondas, I also have not seen that happened if the drain bolt is installed properly with a new crush washer and not over tighten.

Threads usually gets messed up due to cross-threading or over-tightening the drain bolt, not using a new crush washer, etc.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:44 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Jet sitter
I installed one of these at my last oil change.
Thanks, I had forgotten about those - I had one years ago on different car, thought it was great,
Ended up drain and refill oil more often 'cuz I could do it without a wrench - just fingertips.
It went with the car when I sold it.

Last edited by UhOh; 01-31-2012 at 04:51 PM.