General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going craizy!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 09:16 PM
Unhappy Going craizy!!

Hey guys thanks in advance for any help you can provide me with. (1996 Honda Accord coupe) Auto Tranny

Heres my problem.
1.Car wouldnt start.
2.Took off starter to get checked was bad, bought a new one installed.
3.Car made a nasty grinding noise and did not start.( old started did nothing was completely dead)
4.turned the fly wheel manually.
5.car turned on but grinded for 2-3 seconds.
6.car wouldnt move from Park...
7.Turned off car tried turning it back on but it just made a grinding noise and doesnt turn on.
8.Only way to move from parking is by using the manual way by sticking the key on the side of the shift ****.

So basically my car wont turn on unless I move the flywheel (sometimes) and it wont get out of park. What can it be?

tomorro Im going to check the teeth on the flywheel (to dark now) but thats all i think it can be. again thanks for your help (:

Old 10-26-2011, 01:05 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe the starter is not disengaging from the engine. Sometimes you can get a bad rebuilt starter.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:23 PM

Ok, so I went back to the auto parts and replaced the new starter they gave me.
1. installed it and still drags to turn on, sometimes wont turn on and wont even make a clicking sound.
2.I thought the starter might not be getting a good signal from the battery so I removed all the the battery cables (+) and (-) and cleaned them. Im getting a .3 v on all the cables so I know the cables are good.
3. I checked the v from the battery to the starter getting 12.6. So it cant be the battery cables. Then I checked the (+) and (-) going to the fuse box and they checked out...
4. So now im really confused. The car turns on when it wants to -__-.

I concluded its not the battery, starter, or cables. I don't see a starter relay anywhere in the car so that cant be it either

Old 10-26-2011, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

There isn't a starter relay. The electrical portion of the ignition switch provide the signal to the starter.

You can try turning the key to the II position. Then use a jumper cable from the small post on the starter with the blk/wht wire connection and the positive battery post to see if the starter works properly. Also, inspect that blk/wht wire connection.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:25 PM

Is there any chance that it can be the
1. Ignition switch or
2.ignition lead going to the starter. If so how can I check the lead?

Thanks for your help!

Old 10-27-2011, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Have the battery tested.....it might have volts but no amps or not enough.

Lets get it starting first, then we can dive into why it is not shifting out of park...