General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 11:52 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Grinding noise

can someone try to help solve this for me. its a 2001 honda accord LX.

there is this grinding like sound coming from the rear passenger side of the car. first i thought it could be the muffler like most of you might be thinking so far but i got it lifted to change my muffler and asked them to check if the rubber or anything is gone. they checked and it wasnt the muffler 100%. i know little to nothing about mechanics so bare with me.

this noise only comes after i drive the car for a good while like 30+ minutes. it only comes when i am stopped, when in park or when in drive or reverse but im holding the brakes if im in drive or reverse and let go of brake it stops. also when im on a downhill it makes the grinding noise loud.

the only mech i know in the rear is e brake since its FWD. could it have anything to do with the e brake? if not can someone give me any ideas. also i am going to a garage to fix a non related issue in a few weeks when i have money and ill ask him about it. i just wanna know if it a serious problem or not.

sorry for the long boring question. but thanks in advance to anyone who can help me!!!

edit: it mainly only happens on a downhill area if its not downhill i have to turn the steering wheel to a certain position and it starts grinding.

Last edited by Str2010; 08-23-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Str2010
can someone try to help solve this for me. its a 2001 honda accord LX.

there is this grinding like sound coming from the rear passenger side of the car. first i thought it could be the muffler like most of you might be thinking so far but i got it lifted to change my muffler and asked them to check if the rubber or anything is gone. they checked and it wasnt the muffler 100%. i know little to nothing about mechanics so bare with me.

this noise only comes after i drive the car for a good while like 30+ minutes. it only comes when i am stopped, when in park or when in drive or reverse but im holding the brakes if im in drive or reverse and let go of brake it stops. also when im on a downhill it makes the grinding noise loud.

the only mech i know in the rear is e brake since its FWD. could it have anything to do with the e brake? if not can someone give me any ideas. also i am going to a garage to fix a non related issue in a few weeks when i have money and ill ask him about it. i just wanna know if it a serious problem or not.

sorry for the long boring question. but thanks in advance to anyone who can help me!!!

edit: it mainly only happens on a downhill area if its not downhill i have to turn the steering wheel to a certain position and it starts grinding.
Sorry, I'm easy to confuse.

To me this is sounding like a wheel bearing issue. But at the same time I can't tell if this is a rear brake issue......

Old 08-24-2012, 10:59 AM
Newest Of Newbies

okay thanks ill find out in a week or two when i take it to a shop and tell you if its that or something else hopefully nothing serious.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:34 AM

have them check your brake pads (you can even do this by looking at them through the rim if you have alloys) Worn out brake pads create a metal on metal scraping sound when they are ready to be replaced. Its designed to do this.

If the wheel bearing is going out and you think its the right rear then when you are driving and go around a right hand corner (40-50mph) the noise should lessen and subsequently going around a left hand corner will make it more pronounced.. If it is the left rear then going around a left hand corner will lessen the sound.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:51 AM

sounds like a brake problem my guess, my experience with wheel bearings is the noise went away when I put my foot on the brakes. Ive had some weird sounds come from my brake drums from scale/rust buildup on the inside of the drums but I suspect your car had rotors.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:31 AM
Newest Of Newbies

no this noise ONLY happens when the car is fully stopped and only after the engine is really warmed up. and if im parked on a downhill its really loud.