General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

grinding noise when steering right on idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 08:28 AM
Default grinding noise when steering right on idle

So i know the best way to diagnose this problem would be to take it somewhere where they can lift the car but wanted to know what people think my problem may be...

Everytime I reverse out of my driveway and then starighten the wheel to the right, theres a grinding noise that comes from my left driver side wheel that causes the steering wheel to vibrate. Ive also noticed while im in park or idle, if I steer right, the same noise comes from the left wheel as it seems to shake the tire in the process of moving it to the right.

FYI..this grinding noise never occurs while driving and steering to the right...

Old 08-26-2009, 09:05 AM

Really bad CV joint on the left side? Jack it up, look at the axle boots for a tear. If the tear is left for too long or is really large, all the grease will spin out leaving it dry and it will collect sand and muck. Good times let me tell you. I am assuming you do not have a floor jack and stands. If you can go out and get a really cheap set, jack her up and put her on the stands. Shake the front wheels up and down and left to right to check for clunking and play. If you have loose or worn suspension components up front(ball joints, tie rod ends, wheel bearings) this simple test will help diagnose it.

***If you can't jack the car up just crank the wheel all the way to one side and put your hand behind the wheel and feel the boot. You will easily be able to tell if it is torn. Hard to feel the inner boot though without lifting the car but you can do it if you have long arms and lie on your back next to the car.

Last edited by Krmnnghia; 08-26-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:51 AM

Ill check it out this weekend. Any chance the control arm could be going to? The strange thing is that it only seems to do it while straightening or turning right on the wheel at idle or parked...