General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard Take Off Makes It Pull

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 04:23 PM
Default Hard Take Off Makes It Pull

I had never noticed it, but today, when I took off a bit hard, the '05 Honda Accord V-6 Hybrid seemed to pull to the right a little. I had the traction control turned off, as I sometimes do when it's not wet, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not. Normal take offs, it doesn't do that. I like the TCS turned off so I can do burns more easily.

I'm the one that did the Moody Car thread. I'm still determined to add some zip to that thing.
As I said in that thread, the foreman who was about to help me with all that, up and left town.

I have emailed our old mechanic we used for years, an ASE guy, about all this. He is the one who steered me onto K&N filters when I was wanting something to pep it up. He has raced cars and has experience with all types of vehicles. Maybe he can come up with what would work and what wouldn't.

Anyway, getting back on track, has anyone had a car like this to pull to the right on quick take offs? This is the first time I'd ever noticed it.

Thanks~

Old 01-30-2008, 04:28 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Hard Take Off Makes It Pull

when my tires are getting a bit bare it happens to me.. just not enough traction on the wheel with power...

Old 01-30-2008, 06:13 PM

also, it's considered normal. it's called torque steer. all that torque from a dead stop tends to spin the wheels, if one wheel is spinning slower than the other it will pull. the driveshaft length also plays a factor. even though your car has an intermediate shaft to try and reduce torque steer, it will happens with heavy throttle.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:27 PM

Front wheel drive cars are notorious for this effect. This is another reasonwhy RWD rules the waves!

Old 01-31-2008, 01:17 AM

Some FWD cars torque steer badly, others little. On a smooth flat road a well engineered FWD car should have very little or zero torque steer (even with a lot of power and hard aceleration). However, even awell engineeredFWD car will torque steer on some occasions, i.e. if the road has undulations or bumps, particularly if the road has longitudinal ruts. Such bumps, ruts etc can cause the driving / steering tyres to be loaded differently, and thus longitudinal forces generated at the tyres to be fed into the steering differently at each wheel, causing the car to pull whether momentarily or for longer (dependant on how long the tyres are unevely / unequally loaded).

The worst situation would be where the effective road camber at each wheel is severe and opposite, e.g. if say the LF had most of its loading (weight of car) on the inner edge of the contact patch and the OF had most loading on the outside edge. In this situation the steering would pull to the left when power was applied, and pull to the right when braking was applied. On a RWD car there would be no affect when power was applied, but still would be when braking was applied.

What happens in the above example is that the tractive forces generated at the contact patches are generatedlargelyto the inside and the outside of the point at which the steering axis intersects the ground, causing the wheel to attempt to steer in an arc centred on the point at which the steering axis intersects the ground ('pulled' or 'pushed' around this point by tractive forces). With the point of average contact patch loading being at different distances from the steering axis the forces will be unequal and cause a pull one way or the other, particularly if the distances are positive at one wheel and negative at the other.

This will be felt by the driver as a torque steer off the line or while on the move and accelerating (or braking), and if the driver doesn't resist it the car will veer to one side. The effect may last only a short time until more even road is encountered. Such affects are very likely to be stronger with harder acceleration, harder braking, and / or wider contact patches. If one tyre loses grip and starts spinning, then the torque steer affect may be excacerbated, possibly getting worse in the same direction or even flipping to a torque steer the in the opposite direction depending on which tyre loses grip.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:48 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

accord V6 will torque steer like mad if you turn off the TCS and floor it.