General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator
Default Headlight Electrical Problem

Ok, I have a strange electrical problem with my headlight and turn signals that I will try to describe as best I can. I want to get some suggestions on how to isolate the problem before I tear into the wiring harness.

Fist of all, the problem is persistent, but it will occasionally fix itself while driving or out of nowhere.

The problem is only on the passenger side of the car. When I turn on my headlights.......
The pass. headlight and side marker lights are out. Both the front and back turn signal bulbs are always on. Also the right arrow on the instrument cluster is dimly on all of the time. The right turn signal will not work. The hazards work on both sides, but at about half of the rate as they normally do. When the electrical problem fixes itself, the high-beam switch does not work.

When the headlight switch is off, the right turn signal will work only if I turn off the a/c.

With the headlight switch set to parking lights, the side marker light works properly.

I downloaded the Mitchell Electrical diagram for a 94 accord from the spoonhonda site (find in DIY Online Manuals thread). I know that the electrical problem is happening before the 20 amp fuse to the pass headlight, because I pulled the fuse and the right arrow in the instrument cluster was still lit. I want to test the combination switch, but I can not find the 20-pin plug as directed in the shop manual. There are several 20-pin connectors around the steering column, and the plastic is a different color. Can anyone give me some wire colors, etc...

Old 08-20-2008, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Headlight Electrical Problem

Are you sure its upstream of that fuse? Having unrelated stuff turn on REALLY sounds like an open ground somewhere.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Headlight Electrical Problem

I will double check when I get home.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Just incase someone else experiences this problem.

My headlight problem went away for a while then came back last week. I cleaned the ground connector for the headlight wire harness bolted to the radiator support, and the problem has gone away.