General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

heater/ac dash controls, won't activate

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Default heater/ac dash controls, won't activate

A few years ago the heater/ac dash controls started working intermittently. This got progressively worse until they stopped working entirely. The green lights would not come on. Checking the fuse box I found the heater/A/C control circuit was not being fed upstream of the fuse when the key was on. I've checked all apparent connections and wires to no avail. I jumped the A/C pressure control switch by the radiator to no avail. A mechanic told me this prevents the A/C from being turned on if there is low pressure in the A/C system. I'm currently running a fused jumper wire from the cigarette lighter to the fuse box to hot the heater/A/c controls. This works but is certainly not the way I want to activate the heater and A/C. Any suggestions? Accord 1996 LX

Last edited by Dan Fulmer; 11-05-2011 at 11:47 AM. Reason: year and model we're not given
Old 11-04-2011, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

what year, model, etc... accord do you drive?

Old 11-05-2011, 11:44 AM

1996 lx

Old 11-05-2011, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

In order to fix this properly, we will need some more information. You will also need a volt meter or a 12V test light.

If you go to the common DIY thread on top of the gen tech help forum, there is a link to online shop manuals. In that thread the hondatech link has a 94 shop manual that you can download as a pdf. Once you get that manual, let us know what fuse box (in the engine bay or under the driver's dash) and the fuse number. Then we can start narrowing down the electrical problem.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Default heater/ac dash controls won't operate

The fuse box that is involved is inside by the drivers left foot. The circuit involved is #8 Heater control relay, A/C clutch relay, Cooling fan relay. 7.5 amp.
As mentioned before, #8 circuit is not being fed upstream from the fuse when the key is on. I've checked this out with a 12V test light. Somehow there has been a interruption of current flow to this #8 fused circuit before the fuse, or upstream. I have fed this circuit with a lead from the cigarette lighter to the fuse to allow the operation of the heater, A/C and cooling fans. The air conditioning does not seem to get all that cool and that is why I suspected the switch that is located by the radiator on the A/C line that prevents the A/C clutch from activating because of low pressure. I jumped that switch to bypass it in case that was what was happening but still no current to that #8 circuit. I don't know weather that A/C clutch switch is normally closed or normally open. Maybe I should try just disconnecting it instead of jumping the switch and see what happens? If the pressure in the A/C lines is not high enough, #8 circuit will not work because you would damage the A/C pump if it did.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

No. 8 fuse comes directly from ignition switch. Perhaps someone cut/rerouted this wire for a switched circuit on some aftermarket product. Trace the Yellow wire from ignition switch to underdash fuse box and resplice as necessary.

good luck