General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater valve sticking

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 02:11 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Heater valve sticking

Watsup guys I have a 95 Accord Ex Coupe 4 cyl Automatic. I took apart the dash to remove alarm wiring that was left behind. Found my heater valve cable disconnected so I unknowingly reconnected it. This car HAS a adjustable cable, its not a later VIN. I havent tried adjusting the cable yet, I have the procedure. Honestly id rather just position the valve in the open position and disconnect the cable there, its winter here in NY I can do without A/C until I sort the issue out. Can someone here please post a picture of what position their heater valve lever is in with the heat commanded all the way on highest fan level, front vents and direct HVAC from the engine. I mostly need it for the defroster in the winter as my valve is stuck closed and the air is now only blowing cold. I could remove the valve and check myself but id rather do that when I buy a new one and not repeat steps. Thanks for all your help guys.

BTW: The cable is binding

Last edited by TransAmVII; 10-08-2016 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

There are some youtube videos on how to adjust/replace that cable. If the cable is binding, you probably have to replace it.

You can open the hood and open/close the heater core valve. The valve is close to the firewall on the passenger side of the vehicle. I believe you just have to swing the arm to open/close the valve.

Old 10-08-2016, 05:22 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks man. I know where the valve is im looking to get someone to post a picture of the position the valve lever is in when the heat is on full.

Old 10-08-2016, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

Just try pulling or pushing on the lever in the direction the cable would push/pull. You can try to see if the cable in the dash retracts when you turn up the heat, then you will know that the level should move towards the cable.

Old 10-12-2016, 04:43 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I disconnected the cable at the valve and opened the valve. I had the car idling at temperature and both open and closed valve positions remained at 92 degrees. Gonna test drive the car with the valve open and see where the temp sits. Valve is closed for heat? (stupid question) lol just making sure, I get so involved in this **** I confuse simple science

Old 10-12-2016, 05:46 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Test drove at temp and it was blowing 82 degrees both opened and closed valve, its as if its blowing room temp. Im thinking maybe I skipped a few teeth on the temp control unit when I reattached the bad cable. Will remove control unit tomorrow and inspect