General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

help 91 se wont fire

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default help 91 se wont fire

last week i bought a 91 se with 225 thousand kilometers on it, new timing belt water pump, batt. Ran mint. i'll set up my scenario with what pertinent details i can. I live in saskatchewan. it was crazy cold here last week. -20/-30 celcius. i was plugging it in and it was starting fine. then it got nice out almost 0 i think. I was running it with the gas consisantly low. I didnt run it all weekend. then sunday night it turned cold. it was -26c monday am and i didn't have it plugged in. I tried to start it, and it gave one little rumbly chug, almost started and then it would only turn over it won't fire. It makes exactly the same sound every time i try to start or jump it. I have a haynes manual so i performed the fuel pressure release procedure with that little banjo bolt /service bolt thing and very little fuel escaped. I almost think that im not getting fuel for some reason. I can hear the fuel pump run when i turn the key. but no go. I wondered if maybe i didn't get some ice from moisture in the gas from running it low with temp fluxuations but i think with the block heater running i can feel heat underneath the injection system so i wonder if ice could even form? holy crap im mad. mad enough to use emoticons even and I hate those buggers.
thanks to any and all who may be able to point me in the right direction. (yes i did try to search my quiry, i didn't find anything relatable. If any one thinks they have a helpful link or info, much appreciated.)

Old 02-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

I doubt that the block heater would affect the temperature of your fuel system. If you have a timing light, check that all four plugs generate enough spark to flash the timing light.

Verify tat no fuel comes out of that banjo bolt on the rail when you turn the key to the II position. If you verify the test and you hear the fuel pump turn on, then there is either a blockage or the fuel pump went out.

Try the easy stuff first. Add 2 gallons of gas and make sure that you didn't run out of gas. You can try a can of an additive to help melt any ice. Read fuel filter replacement procedure in DIY section.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

You may need to add several gallons of gas, along with some dryer (methanol, Heet, DryGas, whatever brand...)

You may have some ice anywhere in the fuel lines underneath the car. The engine heater won't help if the ice is under the left-rear seat. It can take awhile for the fuel dryer to diffuse thru the lines & un-stick the ice.