General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help... Engine stalling and exhaust burping noise...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 05:57 AM
lildragon45
Unregistered
Default Help... Engine stalling and exhaust burping noise...

Hi I am not good with stuff to do with the car and will try to explain my problem. So sorry if it doesn't make sence.

98 Accord LX
AEM Intake, DC Sports 4-2-1 Headers, Skunk2 Catback Exhaust
Engine oil and transmission oil look good.

Issue: So just the other day i'm going to work and I hear this noise from my exhaust like burping noises (3-4 times) during this I feel like my car is stalling. I came home and thought it was my transmission, but it really didn't feel like slipping. Now I started my car and in park it would do the same noise like every couple minute not consistant. I put the car in R N D with my foot still on the brake and it does it also.

This is my daily commuter car and hope it's nothing to exspensive to fix. Does anyone have a suggestion or know exactly what is going on with my car? I have an appt with amcco to diagnose the car only for $40 on Monday. If there is anything I can try to help troubleshoot this would be much appreciated.

Here are my guess something to do with the sparkplugs or wires? Or something to do with the fuel? Maybe?

Old 05-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Help... Engine stalling and exhaust burping noise...

What I call "spit-back" occurs due to mis-timing. Engine fires when intake valves are open and "spits back" through the intake and throttle body. It can be caused spark jumping from one wire to another. Check wires for damage or replace w/ new OEM quality wires.

good luck

Old 05-06-2007, 03:30 PM
lildragon45
Unregistered

Okay thanks, i'll try to replace the spark plug wires today. I think I can manage that myself. But if there's anything else I should look at replacing let me know... Thanks...

Old 05-06-2007, 08:38 PM
lildragon45
Unregistered

Okay I just finish changing the wires to NGK one's and the problem was still there. My old wires looked bad anyways. So went back to the store and got some spark plugs NGK Platinum just to test. I was kind off suprised it wasn't hard to install. Hope I did it right. So I took it for a test run for 15 min and didn't see loud burbs anymore, but did notice some light sounding one. Anything else I should replace or have checked? Thanks...

Old 05-06-2007, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Is the car noticeably missing w/ shuddering and loss of power?

Has the Check Engine Light been ON at any time? Missing should set the CEL, so if no CEL, then missing is not the problem.

It doesn't have the symptoms of a fuel delivery problem.

good luck