General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 12:18 AM
Default Help Please

hi im new to the forum and had a couple of quick questions

first my car has been idleing very erraticly lately so i did some research and found a couple of things that could cause this one being the iacv i unplugged this and started my car and it idled normal so my first question is will the car run and drive w the iacv unplugged and if so is it safe

my second question is along w the idleing issue lately my car seems like it is bogged down and has lost @ least a noticable amount of power my car seems to have adequate back pressure from my exhaust i have also changed my plugs wires cap and button and have the oxygen sensors to replace any other suggestions on what could cause this

also is it possible to remove the heat shield @ the front of the motor where the o2 sensors r located?

thanks

Old 12-19-2010, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Never tried leaving it unpluged. Would suggest finding/fixing the issue...low coolant, fast idle, idle air- check, clean, adjust-

Do you have any codes? Under the drivers seat is the ECU- view from the back seat, count flashes, might have to open the "little window" to se the led light. Could be related to the idle issue you have.

Yes you can but why? There are three bolts - two at the top going into #1 and #4, too cold for me to go outside right now, exhaust. The third is down at the bottom right by the two O2 sensors. With the right tool you should be able to replace the O2's without removing it....The bolts to the heat shield tend to break so be careful if you do remove it.

EDIT: You can download the manual if you don't have one already. Look in the DIY section for places to get one.

Last edited by poorman212; 12-19-2010 at 09:16 AM. Reason: added more
Old 12-19-2010, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Honda idle-control system wants a few things straightened out before adjusting.
Throttle must close completely and throttle cable go at least a bit slack.
Throttlebody cleaned out.
No air pockets in the cooling system (really).

The procedure for setting the base idle might not go back far enough for 1989 - I'm not sure. Look for that in the shop manual.