General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Honda Accord 2002 SE EXEC Auto

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 09:40 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Honda Accord 2002 SE EXEC Auto

Have an AC problem which now seems to be related to the AC Clutch. The system has been gassed and no leads found. The Garage says it needs a new Compressor clutch but comparing it with another Honda, the clutch cannot be turned by hand as if it is engaged all the time. I have removed the relay but it makes no difference. On the other Honda you can rotate the clutch. There are no strange sounds when the engine is running and the compressor is turning OK but the AC is only blowing warm air. If the clutch is jammed against the pulley then I would of thought the AC would be cold anyway. Can anyone advise me why the clutch is always engaged when the Ignition is off and the relay removed and also how to free it. Thanks

Old 05-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If clutch is engaged to compressor and compressor pulley, it would prevent turning. You should be able to disconnect compressor coil or pull AC relay connector and clutch should disenage. The AC relay could be frozen closed and cause the clutch plate to engage full time. New relay should fix.

If clutch coil is not engaged, then something is wrong w/ compressor. When clutch is disengaged, the clutch plate should turn w/ relative ease, with some firm spots as pistons compress gas. Easily rotated by hand. If yours is difficult to rotate, I would suspect the compressor is damaged and pistons are scoring the cylinders (lack of lube or earlier damage). You may be able to feel roughness as pistons are forced to move.

In that case, you will need to replace the compressor, flush condensor, replace receiver/drier, flush hoses, and hope the evaporator is not contaminated. Most reliable way would be to replace condensor and evaporator as it's very difficult to remove compressor debris from them.

good luck

Old 05-14-2011, 02:43 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Hello You said >If clutch is engaged to compressor and compressor pulley, it would prevent turning. You should be able to disconnect compressor coil or pull AC relay connector and clutch should disengage. The AC relay could be frozen closed and cause the clutch plate to engage full time. New relay should fix. >> In my email I did mention --- I have removed the relay but it makes no difference ----so it is not the coil energized all the time////// There are no strange noises when the compressor is turning.. So it does not sounds like the compressor pistons are damaged.. but likewise it does not seem to compress anything. Any other ideas... Thanks in advance John

Old 05-14-2011, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

JEB007- from your other post, I hope I didn't sound wrong. Perfectly fine being on here and not being in the US, there are other members from the UK and other places in the world. Just sometimes I forget about minor differences in the US models vs the ones from other places.....

I'm going to stick with this thread as we are passed "Getting Codes".

Can you check the connector on the compressor, are you getting power to that when you turn on the ac? Are you sure you are trying to spin the compressor the same way the belt would turn it. If so and it won't move, slightly try to turn it the other way.

I would have thought (been wrong many times before) that if the compressor is "locked up internally" that the clutch would still engage, just the belt would melt and break......but I'm not near as good with AC issues as TX is.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:38 AM

Then compressor and clutch are "locked" together w/o the coil energized? Disconnect the compressor coil wire to be sure it's not electrically locked. You may have removed wrong relay?

If not electrically locked, there could be a mechanical problem (something stuck between clutch plate and compressor that physically locks them together.

Suggest first removing AC drive belt and see if you can turn the compressor by hand. If yes, then good news is compressor is OK. Bad news, you'll have to remove the clutch plate (at least) to fix.

I've unbolted the AC compressor from mount to remove clutch plate on 94 EX w/o discharging. Yours appears similar from what I can see on Autozone manual (compressor underneath alternator and PS pump?). If that is the case, you may be able to repair w/o discharging the system.

good luck

Old 05-15-2011, 04:25 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Hello I have removed the correct relays as they are labelled on the cover of the box and even swapped them round to test them I have also tested each relay coil with a battery and they all click, etc. The one thing which puzzles me is... if the pulley and clutch are spinning then I am assuming the compressor is also turning and therefore it must be compressing the gas which has been checked and is OK. If this is the case it should be blowing freezing air but the air is warm.... So if the compressor is turning and I also push the air con button to turn on the front fans should it not be blowing cold? Your expert advise would be appreciated Many thanks John

Old 05-15-2011, 07:31 AM

One problem at a time. We know there's something wrong w/ compressor. Fix that and AC problem can follow.

Problem could be bad expansion valve, heater control valve, or compressor simply is damaged internally; damaged reed valves.

good luck