General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn fuse issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 03:14 AM
Default Horn fuse issue

Hey guys,

First, let me say I'm no mechanic but if it's an easy fix I can try to save myself some $$$$$. I spilled some soda on the shifter and this issue started. I have a 91 accord EX. I know the horn fuse (20A) under the hood has multiple functions (horn, cruise, brake lights & shifting out of park). So here's my issue, the fuse blows when I shift out of park.

Test #1:
I replaced the fuse, horn works check, brake lights work check, clicking sound is heard for shifter check, press shifter **** to shift out of park, fuse pops.

Test #2:
I replaced the fuse again, horn works check, brake lights works check, clicking sound is heard for shifter check, use key to release shifter into Neutral (trying to outsmart it), horn works check, brake lights work check (RPM goes down below 1k when brake was pressed, not sure if it did it during test #1), clicking sound is heard for shifter check, pull shifter to Drive, pop.

I'm not sure where to start looking or what it could be. Circuit?? Wires?? Relay?? I can't tell if the soda dripped down into the shifter housing. I popped 4 fuses in less than 5 mins to do all the tests. Any help or links to help would be greatly appreciated as driving without a horn or more importantly brake lights is dangerous.

I hope I was detailed enough. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You will need to remove center console and clean the electrical parts; lock-out solenoid and shift switch.

Suggest donwloading a manual from Online Manuals post in DIY forum for guidance on console removal. Use WD40 or other light oil to clean switches. Don't use brake cleaner or throttle body cleaner as these can damage electrical wiring.

good luck

Old 04-19-2012, 02:40 AM

Thanks TexasHonda!!

What type of cloth should I use to clean it with? Terry cloth/microfiber? I was able to remove the center console. I didn't see much to clean. There were 3 connector plugs toward the front, a circuit board on the left side & a gold plunger type switch on the right side. Any ideas?

Old 04-19-2012, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I would use plenty of WD40. It evaporates eventually and displaces water. If you have an air compressor and blower nozzle, it will help to blow out deposits.

good luck

Old 04-20-2012, 12:09 AM

Thanks!! I will try this weekend & let you know what happens.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:36 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

buy a can of electrical contact cleaner