General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How could they screw it up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 07:51 AM
Default How could they screw it up? 97 accord

A few months ago, I took my 97 wagon in to a local shop for a timing belt job. Immediately afterward I felt a little vibration, as if a motor mount was bad or the exhaust was hitting. I took it back and they checked it out and could not find anything. Before that the engine was smooth as silk. Now last week, the alternator/ac belt started squealing. I looked and the long bolt that mounts the alternator was not even there! I took it back again and he installed a bolt and tightened the tensioner. A few days later, squealing again. I looked the tensioner bolt was loose. This time, I just loosened the mount bolt, tightened the tensioner and re-tightened the mount bolt. That lasted two days before the tensioner became loose again. What could they have screwed up to make that tensioner keep coming loose? I can't find a diagram of that part online, but I may need to buy one, Also, when he loosened that driver side engine mount, is there something he might have done wrong putting it back together to cause the vibration?

Last edited by wunderbra; 09-14-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:27 AM

I would keep taking it back, until they fix their screw ups. I guess it could be a few different things. Timing belt installed one tooth off? Mount broken or installed incorrectly? Wrong size bolt for the alternator? If they have any pride in their work, they will make it right. Good luck

Old 09-14-2013, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Not sure if this pic will help or not?

If they got the balance shaft timing off - then you could have a strange vibration.

I would still check all of the mounts to be sure that one or more is not broken.

Attached Thumbnails How could they screw it up?-5th-gen-alt.jpg