General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to wire a new horn

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 08:07 AM
Default how to wire a new horn

OK, here's my problem. I just had a problem with my brake lights. That issue is fixed. Now, the fuse for my horn is still blowing as soon as I put the fuse in. Is there a way to wire a new horn setup? Could it be the horn relay? Where is the horn relay? The car does not have SRS or cruise, or anything. Just a plain, roll up my own windows car, lol. Can anyone give me some help on what to do? The car is due for inspection and I can't drive it until I get this resolved. Thanks.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:40 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: how to wire a new horn

scroll up a bit and go read the post .......members please read ,,, if you need help

Old 06-06-2007, 10:47 AM

Sorry, it's a 1991 Honda Accord DX. As soon as I try to put a fuse into the u/h #25 fuse slot, it blows right away. I'm looking to maybe just wire a horn and a switch if that's possible. Just something to pass inspection. Woulda badrelay cause the fuse to blow like that?

Old 06-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

"had a problem with brake lights" ? ? Hmmm, the brake light fuse is still blowing??

Old 06-06-2007, 09:27 PM

The brake light problem is fixed. Since the #25 fuse kept blowing, I bypassed it by running a new wire from the u/h fuse box with an inline fuse to the brake switch. That gave me power and working brake lights to the wire connector near my back seat. From there, I figured out that I had a bad wire connector at my driver's side taillight. I bypassed that connector and now all lights are working fine. Now, I need to get a horn working, so I may have to run a new wire for that. I can't find my horn relay and I need to get this horn working. Is it possible to wire a horn using a "hot" wire directly to the horn, and use a button to connect the ground in order to make the horn work? That would mean no relay. I'm not sure if this would work or not. I'd like to get some advice before I set the car, garage, and house on fire, lol.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:09 PM

Disconnect the horn. Does the fuse still blow?

Old 06-06-2007, 10:32 PM

if one or both horns are shorted out causing the fuse to blow,, putting another wire will not do a bit of good,, you need to diagnose what is causing the fuse to blow,,
First step is to eliminate the horns,, do as Chio advicedmm disconnect both horns from the system and see if fuse still blows ,, if it does not , 1 or both horns are no good,, hook up one horn at a time and see if fuse blows this way you can diagnose if 1 or both horns are bad,,

if fuse still blows with horn disconnected, you could have a pinched wire .
try unplugging the horns first and let us know the results..,

Old 06-07-2007, 06:35 AM

OK, I will try that when I get out of work. If I am correct, the bumper cover has to come off to get access to the horns, right? I will post results this evening. Thanks for the help, hopefully that's all it is.