General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition switch interlock recall gone bad in my 02

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 07:57 PM
Default Ignition switch interlock recall gone bad in my 02

During an alignment at the dealer yesterday, they found my car had this open recall from back in 2005. They performed it but now I'm intermittently having problems taking my key out of the ignition. The key gets stuck and after repeated wiggling/jiggling around, it finally comes out. Yes, the car is stopped and fully in park. I never had a problem with the old switch that was considered "faulty" and it's clear the tech messed up installing the new part. I'm going back to the dealer tomorrow and have them fix it.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't mess with it. Let us know what the dealer did to fix the problem.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:13 PM

Went back to the dealer today and they were basically useless. According to the SA, in 1 out of 100 cases the new interlock switch may bring out problems with old, worn tumblers in the vehicle's existing ignition. If the old tumblers are worn out as he says, wouldn't this problem have manifested itself before anyway? I've NEVER had an issue taking the key out before. He said I should try putting graphite powder on the keys to lubricate the internals of the key slot or try using my 2nd, less-used key. I tried both to no avail. He said if these don't work, the only solution is paying $500 for a new ignition. I'm pretty upset right now needless to say .

I did some of my own troubleshooting today and noticed that most of the time the key gets stuck, I am still able to press the shift **** and move the shifter out of park without my foot being on the brake pedal. I think due to the shifter still being movable, the car thinks it is fully not in park yet and keeps me from pulling the key out. I still think there is something wrong with the new part they put in and will demand they re-check their work/put in a new part tomorrow.