General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

im stumped: 91 accord won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Default RE: im stumped: 91 accord won't start

Have you checked the fuel filter? The reason I ask is because you said you think it's getting fuel(you can hear the fuel pump.)I'm not too familiar with 91-93 models, but my 95 V6 wouldn't start a while back and sounded familiar to what you described in the beginning of this post. It wound up being the fuel filter. Just a suggestion.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Are the any codes stored in the ECU? I think that a failing distributor would set an error code due to sensor failure.

If the fuel pump whirls, then the Main Fuel Relay is turning the pump on. The MFR can fail at other points in the circuit, and cause the injectors not to open. (Read http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/mainrelayoperation/badmainrelay.html)

As 00AccordLX5sp said, fuel pump turning on doesn't mean there is proper fuel pressure at the rail. You'll will have to verify adequate fuel pressure by connecting a gauge at the rail.

I ran across another problem where a 92 accord wouldn't start. Adequate fuel pressure at the rail, all cylinders had ~170 psi compression, and spark was verified. When the guy put on a timing light on the car, the light wouldn't flash (indicated weak spark). It turned out to be a bad coil although the spark was blue in color.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:38 PM

Update: having ripped out the main relay to look at the solders, I decided to take it in to Honda and let them test it. Turns out there is no continuity on the number 3 and number 5 connection, and it's not the soldering, it's the relay itself.

The guy asked me, are the plugs wet or dry. Dry plugs + fuel pump whirring = no injector squirt, which is triggered by the relay.

So I bought a new relay for $80 and hopefully when I plug this one in later today, the car fires up. Hopefully I didn't wear out the starter by trying to start it for 2 days straight LOL.

If it doesn't, I'm ready to blow the thing up. Seriously.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:48 PM

GVOX, Did the car start? If the main relay was bad the car should have started when starting fluid was sprayed into the TB as Dessert Honda had suggested.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:33 PM

talk about a late update haha:

The car never started with the new main relay. I had to go away for 2 weeks and it just sat there.

Am going to get it towed today and see what's the deal, I can't deal with it anymore. I know it sounds like I gave up but I'm just so pissed I ever bought this car. I have been a civic owner for life and was always able to figure stuff out. not this car, i hate it.