General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Importance of AT heat exchanger in radiator

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by irhunter
Well, currently, at Maine winter temps, I start my truck and drive right off. No unpleasant shifting that I can detect...and, this is with the "old style" ATF-through-radiator which means my ATF is cold until the radiator comes to engine temperature.

Maybe newer, or higher-performance, transmissions have tighter tolerances for ATF temperature.
My personal bet is the transmission warms up well before the radiator; said another way, for cars with the radiator based heat exchanger, there is zero warming happening at any outside temperature following a cold start.

Regarding newer transmissions, yeah, the new six, seven, eight, nine, and now ten speed automatics have been plagued with complaints of harsh shifting when cold.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
My personal bet is the transmission warms up well before the radiator; said another way, for cars with the radiator based heat exchanger, there is zero warming happening at any outside temperature following a cold start.
That is where I am leaning, too.

More for the sake of interest, than to generate data needed to make this decision, I think I will eventually get around to doing a quickie temperature study. Take the temperature of the bottom of the radiator and the ATF leaving the transmission every five minutes (or so) for 20 or 30 minutes of driving.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by irhunter
That is where I am leaning, too.

More for the sake of interest, than to generate data needed to make this decision, I think I will eventually get around to doing a quickie temperature study. Take the temperature of the bottom of the radiator and the ATF leaving the transmission every five minutes (or so) for 20 or 30 minutes of driving.
I'll bet after 20 minutes of driving the ATF will have long since been up to full operating temperature.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
I'll bet after 20 minutes of driving the ATF will have long since been up to full operating temperature.
My bet, too.