General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jack hammer hissing sound when accelerating hard

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 05:45 PM
Default jack hammer hissing sound when accelerating hard

Ok, here is one that is a stumper. So 95 accord 2.2 with auto 4 speed. Did all the preliminary TS by flushing the trans with Honda fluid and checking vacuum lines.
Prob. When in D either 3 or 4 with normal grandpa like driving and everything shifts and sounds fine. When pressing the accelerator in order to pass or gain speed as soon as it kicks down and RPMs jump up[ it sounds as if there is air leaking from something. Its the psst psst psst sound of air under pressure leaking. If I ease the pedal and accelerate slowly it will not kick down and all is fine. Cant find anything on the net nor here. Oh yeah while it is making the air leak sound the tranny hangs and RPms stay up , after a while of the leak noise it will eventually shift then noise goes away. I have and have had a CAI for a long time so its not related to that. Help

Old 05-23-2017, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

Just to be sure, jump ther service connector and see it there are any stored CEL or D4 codes.

Next, check the throttle control cable that runs from the TB to the trans and verify it is properly adjusted.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:44 PM

Thanks for the assist.

Cant check for D4 codes as the lite bulb went bad a year or so ago.
The throttle cable sounds interesting as it seems to be pedal position related. The stumper is the tell tale noise I am hearing, drives me crazy trying to find it. Wish I could be under the hood when this happens.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:31 PM

Well here is an update. The Jack hammer hissing noise is actually coming from under the passengers side. The EVAP control canister drains to the atmosphere there. So, I believe the noise is coming from a bad EVAp two way valve that is used to regulate gas tank pressure. If one or the other exceeds the set value of the two way valve it in this instance I believe is relieving the extra pressure back into the canister and out the drain. Going to look at the one installed on the tank to continue troubleshooting.

Old 05-29-2017, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

The EVAP system would not affect the increase in engine rpm while speed doesn't increase. I'd recommend swapping the D4 bulb for the D1 or D2 bulb so you can check for transmission codes.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:06 AM

Touch down!! Found the problem. I hate when a thread dies with no posted resolution. It doesn't help the rest of us.
So, found a pin hole leak on a aftermarket weld on the inlet side of the three way converter (TWC). The knuckle head who did the last TWC replacement didn't finish. Never knew there was a leak as the TWC was new. 1 year later, the TWC got plugged. This caused back pressure which killed performance and MPG. The plugged TWC caused the exhaust gas to find the path of least resistance..Enter pin hole leak here. So, after I removed and rewelded the hole and fixed the TWC issue, she know can fly...

Clogged catalytic converter.

case closed. Thanks to those that offered up other avenues to seek justice..Lol.. Happy motoring