General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jack stand pads?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 01:43 PM
Default Jack stand pads?

So whenI was doing all the work on my car I had it on stands that were under the rocker panel jack points behind the front wheels. I wasn't "totally" comfortable with this as there isn't a lot of solid contact with the stands. I saw in the manual they had some kind of rubber pads for this? Anyone know where to get 2 or 4 of these?

BTW I usually put the stands at the front of the car where the front cross member bolts on. It seems to be a very solid point but I couldn't do it there since I needed to lowerthe cross member to do the timing belt. Anyone else use that as a place for stands? Any reason I shouldn't put them there?

Old 01-04-2008, 01:46 PM
Default RE: Jack stand pads?

I'm not sure on the rubber pads but I personally usually put the stands on the frame right behind where the A arm comes back to the frame. That way everything is available to be worked on plus it makes for good solid contact.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I use the horizontal sway bar bushing brackets as support points on front. It fits the cupped shape of the jack stand supports nicely. On rear I align as best I can and accept some damage the the vertical frame member.

I've considered making a slotted piece of wood to allow straddling the vertical support member and get support either side on the frame, but haven't done it.

good luck

Old 01-04-2008, 08:46 PM

these lift points are designed to support the weight of the vehicle. they are connected to the strongest part of the vehicle. fyi - supporting the vehicle by the subframe or other part of the frame can bent the subframe or vehicle frame.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:13 AM

ORIGINAL: HondatechAV6

these lift points are designed to support the weight of the vehicle. they are connected to the strongest part of the vehicle. fyi - supporting the vehicle by the subframe or other part of the frame can bent the subframe or vehicle frame.

When I put the jack stands on the front points in this picture there just seemed to be WAY too much front end hanging out there and seemed like the subframe was completely unsupported. I really didn't like being under the car with the stands at these points.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:01 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

i am not terribly comofortalbe with the contact area between the jack stand and the jack pad, but i've used it without problems

on the truck i just used the frame.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:45 PM

the subframe doesn't need to be supported, those lift points are designed with the vehicles center of gravity in mind.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:29 PM

ORIGINAL: HondatechAV6

the subframe doesn't need to be supported, those lift points are designed with the vehicles center of gravity in mind.
Well that's kinda what I was thinking so that's why I was interested in the pads for the jack stands. I think with the pads on there I might have felt better about where they are. I still like them up front they don't get in the way of what I am working on.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Old 01-05-2008, 05:37 PM

if you are refering to the pads as seen in the pictures above those look to be the type of pads you'd find on an actuall hydraulic lift and not just a jack...

Old 01-05-2008, 06:19 PM

No that's not what I am talking about. In another pic in the same part of the manual the show pads that sit on top of your jack stands with a groove in them for weight distribution/stability.