General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Link Pins and rotors

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 08:53 AM
Default Link Pins and rotors

Hi guys,
I need to help to understand what my mechanic says. I have a heavy pulsation in my steering wheel when I apply brakes EVERYTIME and more so at high speeds and the mechanic says that my front rotars are warped and also my "link pins" are broken.

I understand the rotars part but I do not know what are the link pins he is talking about. Is it the sway bar link(2000 Honda Accord Front Sway Bar Link 51321 S84 A01A)? But I did a quick check to see that they were intact.

1) Any idea what a link pin would mean and where I should be looking at to find them?
2) Also is his diagnosis right about pulsation caused by rotars? could a unevenly worn out brake pad result in pulsation?

3rd question not related to above, when I down my driver side window, the point when the window is about to disappear I hear a knock as if the glass hit soem hard metal or metal to metal. Any ideas what could be the cause? Any pointers on how-to open/diagnose the window motor assy will be great too...

(I am palnning to work on the rotars myself first time :-) )

Thanks in advance..

Old 08-05-2011, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Guess here, but most likely means "caliper pins" which allow the caliper and pads to float when unloaded by caliper piston. These can get rusty and bind when the rubber boots are torn. Check w/ him to be sure.

Pulsing as described is caused by warped or unevenly worn rotors. New rotors are usual solution. I'm not sure if your Accord has so-called trapped rotors (behind bearing assy) or floating rotors between bearing assy and wheel. Floating rotors are easy to replace, while trapped rotors are a PIA. Check DIY's for guidance if you want to do yourself. Fairly advanced diy project.

Regarding window, sounds like a loose window (bolt-regulator bolts loose) or something making contact. In either case you'll need to remove door panel (shop manual essential) and access the window and regulator to see what's happening. Check ericthecarguy videos on youtube for "honda window channel replacement" for basics of door panel removal, window removal, etc.

good luck

good luck

Old 08-05-2011, 12:34 PM

Thanks TexasHonda for your reply.

I read the atricle: 2000 Honda Accord Remove Front Brake Rotors - WikituneUp - The Free Service Manual

and thought it should be simple. It did not look like PIA as you mentioned. I hoep I dont end up with a immovable car since this is my first time with mechanical stuff..

I will lift my car today to have a look on that link-pin stuff..

Oh thanks for the link to the video.. looks like I can try to reach the window motor assay and see whats going on in there...

Old 08-05-2011, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

From another post by PAHonda, the trapped rotors ended w/ 97 Accord. So you should have the easy-to-access floating rotors.

good luck

Old 10-19-2011, 12:10 AM

Thanks guys, Though I am late I thought I should put my solutions here after solving the problem.

1) Apparently the MIDAS guy just wrote up a generic term for the problem and he wanted to charge me more. I looked under my car and checked for no such broken item.
2) Pulsation: The problem was with the warped rotors and now my ride is smooth.
3) Job: It is fairly simple if you dont have rusted parts!!
The one thing to note is there is a set of screws that hold the rotors after removing the calipers. They get really rusted bad and had to use impact screwdriver. One of the screws broke and my technician friend told me it is fine without it.
4) Driver side window: Well I dont know what the problem was; there is hardly any space there to look inside after opening the door panel. But I just WD30ed all the gears and moving parts in there and then used some silicone lubricant on my runners and the knocking sound seems to have disappeared!

Again, thanks for all your help!