General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Location of Fuel pump relay

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 07:55 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Location of Fuel pump relay

hello everybody !!

I'm a newbie as i just got my first honda today. I am not much of a honda fan really until earlier when i came across an ageing 1986 accord DX (totally old school carbureted engine) sitting miserably on the side of the road. Oh man it looked terrible... Rust bucket to the max, terrible smell inside and the engine wasnt running. But something about the car led me to buying it, must be the popping headlights that i find so cool; probably the terrible shape it had that told me that i can turn it around.

Towed it back to the house, put on a new battery and put some gas into the tank but it wouldnt fire up. I reckoned the carb must be starving of fuel as it ran dry through the years. I poured some gas into the carb and it ran but only until the primed gas burned out. I did that a few times and it stalls after the gas i pour in gets consumed. It must be the fuel pump. But i need to check the relay first before concluding that i drop the tank to get to the pump.

Anybody know where to locate the relay ?? Some forums tell me its in the engine compartment but they're not specific as to which one; other forums will tell you its under the dash. it surely is a fuel issue here and nothing else. But i will appreciate any other tips to share other than my intuition of the relay/pump theory ?? I dont have tha factory service manual yet so i am in the dark right now. Where is the relay ? Any thread/forums/websites you know that i can read through about a 1986 3rd gen accord dx ? Lastly, refer me to parts (engine and body) suppliers who have recycled components of this model as well as new parts for it.

Thanks in advance. Glad to be here !!

Les

Old 03-01-2015, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Stop......

First, I'm a BIG 3rd gen fan....ask most of the others on here . The ones I've owned over the years have always done me well.....I think the only trim/body combo I haven't owned was a 3 door version.

Back on topic. First, on the 3rd gens you DO NOT need to drop the tank to get to the fuel pump. There is a factory panel in the trunk that you can lift off and replace the pump. The 4th and 5th gens (90-97) are the ones where dropping the tank is "needed".

Speaking of which, you can lift off the panel and test to see if you are getting voltage to the fuel pump, that is where I would start .

Back to the 3rd gen rant....got any pic's of the little fella?

Old 03-01-2015, 02:20 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks super moderator. Well that makes it a hell easier. Thought i needed to drop it to get hold of the pump.anyway. Should the test prove the pump is till good, it should be the relay because i dont hear that familiar buzzing sound it should make when i turn the ignition to ON position. Where' is the relay located ? Also, is there a website where i can get a servicemanual ? Btw, car is in pretty bad shape and is not fit for a modelling job right now. Rust bucket is his family name. Ill try to send pics on my update. I hope i catch you here again or maybe send you a PM

Thanks and have a good one !!

Les

Old 03-01-2015, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...-manuals-4597/

The hondatech link has a 3rd gen manual you can download.

The lack of noise from the fuel pump can be due to lack of power or a bad pump. You can test for voltage on the yellow wire going to the pump. The fuel cut off relay is in the fuse box. There is a procedure in the manual on how to test the fuel pump that should help.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

If it sat that long, there is a chance the pump has "gummed" up.

You can jump the "pins/sockets" of the fuel pump relay that will basically "hot wire" the pump to run when the key is on/pos II.

I'd do this and feel the pump, is it running? If so are you getting fuel to the carb? If not be sure to check the TWO fuel filters - one under the hood by the brake booster and the other is in the back, inside of the drivers/left rear tire.

Attached Thumbnails Location of Fuel pump relay-3rd-gen-carb-fuel-cut-relay-jump.jpg