General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Locked IN my car?!?! Power locks won't unlock sometimes.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 03:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Locked IN my car?!?! Power locks won't unlock sometimes.

Hi everyone, I noticed the last few weeks every once and awhile i go to unlock my car (with all 4 doors locked) all the door ***** pop up then pop back down immediately. So i have to time it right to open the door the exact second the ***** pop up. Then 4 days will pass by and they will work fine and then do the same thing again. Also the other night when i got home (the doors were locked when i was driving) i went to unlock power doors from the switch on the drivers side and they would all pop up then back down again only this time i could not open the door at all from the inside when they poped up for a second. I was trapped inside!! I tried to pull the **** up manually but it was way to tight and would not work. So i have to climb over the console and pull up on the passenger side **** (which was normal and not tight) so i could get out of my car. I do not know what is worse being locked out of my car or being locked IN![&:] So i did some investigating and it seems to be the drivers side that is the problem. The switch works fine (i can hear all the soleniods in every door working) even when all the ***** won't stay up. I think the problem is the drivers side soleniod magnet is sticking or somethign causing it to hold down the **** tight and not fully unlock some of the time. Oh and also sometimes i go to close the drivers door after i lock it and it will only latch 1/2 way. Anybody else have a problem like this or know what the problem could be? I was thinking about spraying some WD40 around the linkages near the soleniod would this make things worse? Thanks.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:05 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Locked IN my car?!?! Power locks won't unlock sometimes.

It sounds like it could be the drivers side as mentioned since it has the auto-lock mechanism in it, or it could be an intermittant short in the lock buttons. If the driver side **** is sticky, that's where I'd start also

Old 09-20-2007, 03:29 PM

On that car if you open your door and hit the lock switch you will notice that it acts virtually the same way. Try this, pull out the drivers side door handle (like you are opening the car door from the inside) about half way then try it, if this works fine every time then it may be the linkage or something related to the door handle itself.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

the switch inside the actuator that recognizes when the locks have been locked may be broken. try taking it out, taking off the actuator cover, then plugging it in and move the lever on the actuator back and forth to see what happens.