General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

losing all power

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 06:10 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default losing all power

I have a 99 accord 2.3 auto 140k and have been having a problem for 3-4 months. I will be driving along and lose all power for a second or less. I drive mostly during the day so I don't know if the lights are going off which would indicate an ignition problem. After it restarts, the cel flashes a few times and the green key symbol stays lit for several seconds. In the last few weeks it has also started failing to start on the first few tries, only occasionally. It fires and I turn the key back to the run position and it stalls out. Usually it catches on the third try. A friend told me that he heard on a radio show that there were some ignition switch problems with 98 Accords. I don't know if that might be the case with 99's also. Any input would be appreciated. I did a search and found there is a recall for the switch, I will call about that tomorrow.
Larry

Last edited by larrypac99; 10-06-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Ignition switch problems run across many years, not just 98. From your description the ignition switch is a prime suspect. Especially the part where the CEL & immobilizer lights come on for a couple seconds.

Can you make it happen by wiggling the switch?

Here's another check... Start the engine but don't completely release the key. Just release it enough so the starter stops running. It runs while you hold it there? Then it dies when you let it go? Or maybe it dies when you just barely begin to turn it towards off?

If you get the switch replaced under recall, be aware that it's the same switch. They didn't seem to redesign anything.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:57 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Ignition switch problems run across many years, not just 98. From your description the ignition switch is a prime suspect. Especially the part where the CEL & immobilizer lights come on for a couple seconds.

Can you make it happen by wiggling the switch?

Here's another check... Start the engine but don't completely release the key. Just release it enough so the starter stops running. It runs while you hold it there? Then it dies when you let it go? Or maybe it dies when you just barely begin to turn it towards off?

If you get the switch replaced under recall, be aware that it's the same switch. They didn't seem to redesign anything.
I cannot make it happen by wiggling the switch, but this is a very intermittent problem. It might only happen every few weeks, always seems to happen once on a 5 hour drive that I take once a month or so. The previous owner got the recall switch at least 75K ago, so I ordered one from Advance. I may not knoe for weeks if it is fixed.
Larry

Old 10-08-2009, 08:04 AM
91exDriFteR
Unregistered

I have run into a very very similar problem with my 91 ex but it only happens when my check engine light is NOT on, it will just miss like crazy for awhile be fine and maybe do it one more time then my ce comes on and it runs fine i replaced plugs plug lines fuel filter cleaned injectors my next xtep is distributer cap and rotor and looking into a possible oil leak into my plug chambers everything i have done so far helped immensily u might try those

Old 10-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Yours sounds quite a bit different, so it's better for you to start a new thread.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by larrypac99
I cannot make it happen by wiggling the switch, but this is a very intermittent problem. It might only happen every few weeks, always seems to happen once on a 5 hour drive that I take once a month or so. The previous owner got the recall switch at least 75K ago, so I ordered one from Advance. I may not knoe for weeks if it is fixed.
Larry

The ignition switch replacement solved the problem. Has not reoccurred since I installed it.
Larry