General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Low Tire Pressure indicator light

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 10:49 AM
Default Low Tire Pressure indicator light

Hi, newbie here to this forum. Hope this isn't a "stupid" question, but just want to check with you all:

I have a 2016 Honda Accord Touring coupe - just got it a few months ago, and the Low tire pressure light came on. So my hubby checked the tire pressure on all 4 tires and 2 were low, so he aired them up. But the low tire pressure indicator light still stayed on.

In my 2010 Civic when that happened, the light would go off after the tires are aired up.

So wondering if there is still a tire issue or if the indicator light has to be turned off manually someway?

Thanks for your help! Still learning all kinds of things about the Accord Touring

Old 05-03-2019, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Probizjudi
Hi, newbie here to this forum. Hope this isn't a "stupid" question, but just want to check with you all:

I have a 2016 Honda Accord Touring coupe - just got it a few months ago, and the Low tire pressure light came on. So my hubby checked the tire pressure on all 4 tires and 2 were low, so he aired them up. But the low tire pressure indicator light still stayed on.

In my 2010 Civic when that happened, the light would go off after the tires are aired up.

So wondering if there is still a tire issue or if the indicator light has to be turned off manually someway?

Thanks for your help! Still learning all kinds of things about the Accord Touring
Check your Owner's Manual; many cars these days require you to reset the alert.

Old 05-03-2019, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

The 2016 Accord comes with an indirect TPMS that doesn’t use tire pressure sensors mounted inside the tires. Instead, it uses the existing VSA wheel speed sensors to monitor and compare tire characteristics while driving.

You have to calibrate the indirect TPMS system.

https://owners.honda.com/vehicles/in...ystem-(TPMS)/3

The 2010 Civic uses a direct TPMS that had wheel sensors inside the tires.

Old 05-04-2019, 12:02 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by redbull-1
The 2016 Accord comes with an indirect TPMS that doesn’t use tire pressure sensors mounted inside the tires. Instead, it uses the existing VSA wheel speed sensors to monitor and compare tire characteristics while driving.

You have to calibrate the indirect TPMS system.

https://owners.honda.com/vehicles/in...ystem-(TPMS)/3

The 2010 Civic uses a direct TPMS that had wheel sensors inside the tires.
My son's 08 Civic Si has them too. If you get a bad sensor, it won't allow you to shut off the traction control. I know this might sound weird, but with the traction control on in the winter months, the car gets very unstable to drive due to the LSD the trans has. Part of this is because the brakes are fighting the TC while trying to go straight.

Old 05-05-2019, 01:57 PM

There's a new best selling book for Honda owners. It's called "the owner's manual", and it's very informative. There are both pros and cons with the new TPMS. There are no pressure sensors in the wheels that can go bad or get broken by tire techs, and you can switch wheels/tires (snow tires for example) without having to remove the tires and switch the sensors. But, the new system will not tell you which tire is low, and it can be set off if you add one new tire with other worn tires on the car at the same time. All the tires need to be pretty close to the same diameter.