General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major Problems......(long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

PA has the right gen Accord to know wire colors, but I think there's a black/yellow wire to the distributor that should have battery voltage whenever the key is on. Check that.

Is the coil INSIDE the distributor that year? I think it is but not sure. If so, then that black/yellow wire is it.

I think you're supposed to have a bundle of ground wires at the thermostat housing. Loose? Dirty? Corroded?

Old 09-03-2009, 01:48 PM
Rocfrog
Unregistered

This coil is out side the distributor. The only thing inside is the "ignitor".

I'll look tonight when I get home and see what color wires I have....

Nick

Old 09-03-2009, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Coil has 3 wires. One of them is the big secondary going to the center of the distributor cap. That leaves 2 others.

One of them should have battery voltage with the ignition switch ON. The other should go to the ignitor, which (through it's solid-state magic) connects & disconnects it to ground.

Honda traditionally uses black/yellow for the power to the coil, but I don't know for sure for your year.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Rocfrog
Unregistered

Mine has 4 wires in a plug....

Nick

Old 11-28-2009, 10:52 PM
Rocfrog
Unregistered

Ok so I thought I had this problem fixed because when I took it all back apart the connections on the ignitor were loose I assumed this is because it was an aftermarket part and not an oem one. So I crimped the connections down and all is well.

Well as of last night the car is doing it all over again! So I assume I need to buy the Honda OEM ignitor and I should be good.....

Anyone else have any opinions???

I've been doing some digging and found some people are having problems with the "main relay" that is behind the dash.....what and where is this? Could this be my problem??

Nick

Old 11-30-2009, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Main relay switches power to the fuel pump. You'd suspect this if you were having a no-fuel problem.

Anyway, turn the key ON but not immediately to START. You'll hear the main relay click, the fuel pump runs for 2 seconds, then the main relay clicks again to switch off the fuel pump. Use the sound of the relay to find it's location.

The common failure of the main relay is cracking solder joints on it's printed circuit board. If you're comfortable with soldering, then pop open the relay case & remelt the connections.