General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

My abs codes... whats wrong?

Old 01-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Default My abs codes... whats wrong?

car is 2003 accord v6 a/t with 90k miles

51-01-abs pump motor failure
61-01-battery voltage failure
68-01-brake switch failure
71-01-wrong size of tire

ok.. so abs tcs and the triangle lights have been comming on intermittenely (all at once) for a couple of weeks.. sometimes they will go out for a day or so then come back.. yesterday they all decided not to come on so.. i took the opportunity to try to engage the abs at every stop i came to (snowing alot yesterday) and needless to say it works flawlessly , tcs also works. the lights never came on even after this workout. sooooo local shop here pulls the codes and says the they recommend i replace the abs pump motor??

"wrong size of tire" could this be from a previous owner running with the spare tire? i only owned car for 3 months and all wheels are stock size

"Battery voltage failure" i took off battery cable to try to clear abs codes...
so my bad on that one

"brake switch failure" i read somewhere that this is common to fail and cause problems?

ok as of right now only the TCS and orange triangle lights are on (hey cleaered out codes after I left shop, mile or so down the road the TCS and orange triangle came back on )
oh and also fluid is full

Old 01-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: My abs codes... whats wrong?

Well the first step in the diagnostic tree is to read and clear the codes;
next test drive to see what codes reappear.
The code 71-01 could also be a wheel sensor mis-counting pulses, though it usually appears as you pass thru 10-15 mph when the system 'arms'.
If you can repost what codes reappeared,I will be happy to look up trouble shooting info for you.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:30 PM

Only problem is I have no way to pull codes again without going back to shop and paying another diagonstic fee.. is there anyway you could look upTSBs relateing to the codes stored? would that help?

i read somwhere that the parking brake can turn abs off if the sensor is bad? also went for a drive tonight abs came on... stopped, turned car off, then payed with parking brake(pulled up and then back down), turned carback on and abs light went out.. abs worked flawlessly

my tcs and ! light are still on .. i was also told that they can be on becuase the person reading abs codes did not reset TCS pressure switch ? how is this done?

Thanks for you help hondadude

Old 01-08-2009, 09:14 PM

actually the abs light has come on like you said "at 10-15 mph" randomely.. is there anyway to further diagonse this without codes?