General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is my tranny slipping??

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 03:14 PM
Default is my tranny slipping??

I brought a 99 accord couple with 125000 miles on it. It drives fine and trannsmission shifts fine normally. but I noticed that whenever I slow down for a turn and accelerate after turning, the car feels like in neutral for about half a second and the everything is fine, rpm doesnt change a lot when it feels like in neutral. and this all happen when I make a turning in slow speed and wanna accelerate after the turn. I have check the tranny fluid level and it's fine. One more thing, it looks like the previous owner have always used DexII tranny fluid instead of honda kind and he did change the fluid regularly.
any thoughts? is my transmission dying?? or it could be just the tranny fluid? thx alot

Old 01-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: is my tranny slipping??

I would suggest three drain/refill/driveat least 5 milescycles w/ Honda ATF. This may improve shift quality by mostly replacing the Dexron II. I've used Dexron in past w/o any problems, but have gone completely to Honda ATF in last few years due to near universal recommendations for this fluid.

I've noticed a tendency to downshift 2-1 upon first acceleration after a slow turn on my 94EX since I've owned it. It can be a little disconcerting, but shifts fine on all other occasions.

good luck

Old 01-11-2009, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

After going thru those drain/fill cycles, you can also reset your ECU. I think in 99 there was some limited amount of learning that the tranny controller can do. Maybe clearing that & allowing it to learn your driving habits might help??

Old 01-13-2009, 10:51 PM

thx for the input, guys. I actually bought this car from my mechanic, it used to be his daughter's daily driving. Hethought Hnoda ATF is actually same asDexIII, but I'm not so sure. Is the symptom I'm experiencing the typical symptom for a toasted accord tranny?? I'm not worrying about alittle bit downshift after a turn, just the fact it may lead to a toasted tranny makes me nervous....
any way, thxxx

Old 01-13-2009, 11:48 PM
secureone
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: yeding

thx for the input, guys. I actually bought this car from my mechanic, it used to be his daughter's daily driving. Hethought Hnoda ATF is actually same asDexIII, but I'm not so sure. Is the symptom I'm experiencing the typical symptom for a toasted accord tranny?? I'm not worrying about alittle bit downshift after a turn, just the fact it may lead to a toasted tranny makes me nervous....
any way, thxxx
lol my dad sold about 50 cars via his shop that used to be his or his moms or mine or whatever the buyer would believe lol

Old 01-14-2009, 11:32 AM
itastiffany
Unregistered

I have an 02 V6 and it does the same thing. Its just the car downshifting to get through the turn. If your transmission was slipping, then you wouldn't have to turn to make it slip. It would be consistent everytime your car downshifted into first. I had to replace my transmission at 80K and now only have about 5k on it, but its done that since day one, as did the original transmission.

As for Honda ATF, every car is different. My first tranny worked alright with it, but as you read I had to replace the tranny at 80K. Initially, this transmission had it, but it almost felt gritty when it shifted so I put the DEXIII in it and now it runs fine.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:36 AM

3 cycles or drain/refill huh......thats a lot of honda ATF! my tranny holds 2.5 quarts of fluid, so ill be buy a lot of bottles. i guess its worth it as opposed to getting another tranny.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Your tranny actually holds a lot more, but it just doesnt drain out. Thats the reason for 3 drain/fill cycles - to dilute the old stuff with fresh stuff.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:50 PM

^k cool. so you think there's a specific amount that would be good to pour in? or after pouring go by the dipstick?

Old 01-16-2009, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

Ive only ever owned 1 auto tranny (5-spd FTW!). Id go by the dipstick, because the amount that drains out isnt always the same.