General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

mystery noise - 1992 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 09:20 PM
Default mystery noise in suspension / shocks / springs - 1992 Accord

what is making this noise in below video I posted to YouTube? New shocks and tires were installed at all four corners at 50k miles and the noise started around 70k miles but only does it when cold and starting out. It goes away after some driving. Now car has about 80k miles. The ride height/clearance is good, no sagging, the car is nimble, and it handles well. I'm inclined to think the springs are fine due to ride height and low miles. No modifications to car. Any experience with this noise?

Last edited by nathan_nw; 03-05-2013 at 03:18 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Creaking sound makes me thing of anti-roll-bar bushings? Another thing might be the inboard bushings on the control arms? Or the radius rods that go forwards from the lower control arm to the radiator frame. They fasten into the frame with some rubber bushings.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:55 AM

I think the noise I'm hearing could be from large swings in the suspension like the shocks are temporarily not fully functional when starting out. Maybe the suspension bushings are slipping/rubbing against metal, hence the noise, until the gas inside the shocks warms up from use and expands to exert adequate pressure. So under this theory the shocks could be near the end of their life or the bushings are getting hard or both as in you need perfect shocks to prevent old bushings from squeaking.

Last edited by nathan_nw; 03-05-2013 at 03:21 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Even with perfect shocks, the bushings always have some motion. That's what the bushings are for. The suspension will always flex as you drive over bumps, etc. In fact, it's common for shocks to be MORE stiff when they're cold, so the suspension will flex a bit more as it warms up.

Some rubber bushings simply flex by design, like the inboard bushing of the lower control arm. If those are torn, they might make noise when they slide instead of flexing.

Some rubber bushings are supposed to hold a shaft that rotates, like the anti-roll-bar bushings. Those might get quiet as they warm up? Spray with water to see if the sound changes. Then if that's it, try to work some silicone grease in there.

Some rubber bushings are tightened around their mounting location. For example the anti-roll-bar end-links, or the forward end of the radius rod. If they're mounting nuts are loose, they will slide & creak instead of just flexing the rubber like they should. Have to good look at them to see what's what.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:22 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I'm sure my '92 does that too at 210,000 miles.
My '93 did I remember. didn't worry me.