General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need Help with Cooling Problems!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 08:38 AM
Default Need Help with Cooling Problems!!!!!

My water temperature meter would go pass the middle and sometimes up to to almost HOT if the car is running with A/C or without A/C. The car would also heat up if it's not moving, like sitting at a stop light, or in traffic jam. The thermalstate has already been replace so that's not the problem. The coolant are full so it's has plenty of coolant. I got an 94 Honda Accord EX coupe with V-tec and 5Sp manual tranny. Have anyone run into this problem before? Please help, greatly appriciated.

Old 09-02-2007, 01:38 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Need Help with Cooling Problems!!!!!

Sounds like a fan problem. Turn on the A/C and check to see if both fans are running. If one/both are not running try hitting the fan motor with a screwdriver. If the fan turns on, then the fan motor is bad. If not, then there are some electrical tests that you will need to perform.

Let us know what you find.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:44 AM

Both fan in the car are running while the AC is on so it's not a fan problem. I just notice today that when the meter go over the normal operating temperature, i can mash on the gas a couple of time then the meter go back down below the middle mark.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Now it sounds like a stuck-thermostat problem.

T-stat is new? What brand? Is it installed in the correct orientation?

Old 09-04-2007, 02:57 PM

The previous owner told me that he just replace the thermalstate but i don't know what brand or if it was install correctly. I'm planning to put in another thermalstate this weekend anyway. Does anyone know the properway to install a thermalstate? Pictures would help alot. Thanx guys

Old 09-04-2007, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

If you install it completely backwards, it just won't fit. The 'long' end goes into the fixed-side of thethermostat housing.

That leaves the ability to spin it around. The vent (rattle-pin) goes at the top. The gasket helps you do this. Fit the gasket around the thermostat; there's a little round scooped-out part for the rattle pin. On either side of that are little rubber nubs molded into the gasket. Those will fit into corresponding cavities in the fixed-side of the thermostat housing. Press the gasket/T-stat down into it's little recess; that kinda holds it in place while you install the outer (hose-nozzle)side of the housing.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:22 PM

It could also be a bad water pump, if the fins in the water pump are worn down then when you rev the motor it turns it faster and helps the fluid flow.... if both fans are coming on then start up the car (cold) let it sit and idle, the upper radiator hose should slowly pressurize as the car heats up, once it gets up to temp that hose should become warm and a bit "squishy" which indicates that the thermostat opened up, if it never gets that way then you have a stuck thermostat, your fan should come on once the hose goes soft, make sure the system is bled as well.