General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need Help with problems

Old 02-08-2009, 03:49 AM
IAMCANADIAN
Unregistered
Unhappy Need Help with problems

I have a 1991 Honda accord ExR automatic

Problems:

1) when i start it when its cold the rpm fluctuates between around 1100-2300 all by its self... but once it warm it seems to stop

2) i go for a drive up the road and when i come back the motor steams but its not oil it kind of smells like antifreeze but i don't see any leak from my rad.... where else could it leak from

3)Both my gas gauge and Temp Gauges don't work and i don't know why.... ?

if any one could help id be so thankful

Old 02-08-2009, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

1) Idle fluctuation is usually caused by excess idle air; missing or open PCV or PCV hose, air boost valve stuck open, idle air control valve sticking, or other souce of air to the engine such as broken vaccum lines.

2) Coolant leak is most likely radiator, but a pressurized cooling sytem leak test performed on cold engine should find the leak. There are many possible locations for a coolant leak. Most auto parts stores have a loaner tool to perform this test.

3) Likely that sensors have failed or electrical connections to sensor are damaged or dis-connected. Check sensors for connection. There are diagnostic tests in the shop manuals.

Suggest download of 90-93 Accord manual from Online Manuals DIY FAQ links.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:26 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Unregistered

i think the motor steam is coming from the hose that goes from the waterpump to the thermostat not sure what that peice is called but my friend is pretty sure judgeing by where the steam is coming from thats it. im wondering if that would cause the rpm to change as well ?