General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise while changing gear.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 11:40 PM
Default Noise while changing gear.

Hi there,

Please help me understand if the noise I am getting is normal or not. Issue is described below with a recorded video.

My Car : Its 2013 honda accord Ex-L v4. I bought it brand new in March 2013.

Issue: When I change my gear from R to P, it makes huge "click" noise. It happens only when my car is cold. e.g. If i start my car for the
very first time in morning, I press break paddle and start the car then change the gear from P to R. This time there is no "click" noise. But if without driving the car when i change back the gear to P from R, it makes huge "click" noise. If i repeat it 4-5 times, then it goes away.
Also if i drive the car for few meters and put in to P again then also "click" noise does not come.
I also noticed then I left my car in my office's garage for 4-5 hours in hot summer day and same thing i could see. First time going from P -> R, no noise.
But if go to R -> P, it makes huge "clicking noise"
I have recorded a video here for the same. when I am changing gear from P -> R it make little beep so when you see the video look for the beep noise.
Right after that i change my gear from R -> P and you would hear the huge "click" noise.
The link to the video :
At following seconds, click noise can be heard.
00:20
00:26
00:34
00:14

Kindly help me, is this normal? This started happening from last 2-3 weeks only. May be even before that, but never noticed it. I have shown to the honda dealer and they are saying its normal but I don't think so. My car is still under warranty.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:04 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Listened to video. No knowledge of modern Honda A/Ts, but here's my take:
Recall when I had one new car, in particular, I seemed to search for things that were wrong. (Hindsight).
'Twas more a function of my stage in life than the car. Best.

Last edited by UhOh; 08-15-2014 at 06:18 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:10 AM

As for the beep I would have to assume the is Honda's way of reminding the driver that, one the car has been placed in reverse and two indicates to the driver that the back-up camera has been activated for use by the driver. The beep probably is linked to the back-up camera system.

As far as the transmission goes, if you have driven older generation Accords you were driving a car with a torque converter style transmission. Your new Accord does not have that style transmission, instead you have a CVT style. The jury is out on whether it was a good idea for Honda to switch transmission type, but do expect it to be a little different including how it sounds when it shifts. Be sure to always leave your foot on the break pedal when shifting back to park or between R and D and be at a complete stop. Be kind to the transmission and remember this is the first time Honda has used this type of transmission in the Accord.