General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

o2 sensor removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 05:38 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered
Default o2 sensor removal

Well I got my new o2 sensor on Thursday, and attempted to install it yesterday. I say attempted because I couldnt get that sucker to budge. I've been spraying it with Liquid Wrench every night for the last week, I figured it would come out with some effort. Feels like that thing is welded in there. I tried using the o2 sensor socket I picked up at Advance Auto as well as the 7/8 in wrench I had. So I went out to Lowe's and picked up a 36 in long piece of pipe to use as leverage. All that helped me do was strip out the threads on the o2 sensor. So I guess this sucker isnt getting replaced until I have the cash to buy my header, unless someone has some kind of trick they would like to share? Anything would be appreciated.

Old 12-17-2006, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: o2 sensor removal

You are saying it ripped the threads out of the exhaust manifold?
I'd say if that is the case you have options of installing a timesert thread kit or getting a salvage yard manifold; or wait til ya get the header.
If the threads still exist in the manifold chase them with a tap

Old 12-17-2006, 06:44 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

No, its not that bad. It just rounded off the part on the outside that the socket is supposed to grab. Not terribly, but the wrench just kind of slides off now when you try to turn it.

Old 12-17-2006, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

maybe if you can get the heat shield out of the way, you could get a small pipe wrench on it.
Some guys swear that warming up the manifold with a short engine run helps.
I feel your pain, I've had them snap off in Civic manifolds before.

Old 12-17-2006, 07:00 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

Yeah I took the heat shield off before I started this project (and snapped the head off one of the bolts that holds it to the manifold lol). I dont know if I can get a different wrench on it, but I will give it a try. I'll also try warming it up. If that doesnt work, I guess I just wait til I get the header lol.

Old 12-18-2006, 12:25 PM

Heat will get it out. I had to use a torch on the last one I took out, it ruined the sensor, but I was replacing it anyway. You want to heat the manifold right around the sensor, not the sensor itself. Since you have rounded the sensor off, you are gonna have to use a pipe wrench or a big pair of vise grips.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:59 AM

if it's the threads on the outside get a chisel and a hammer and try to pry it out like that. but if you rounded and possibly took out the threads on the interior than that's a whole new story. if you have a lot of miles on your car, then don't worry you're not the first one to have taken out the threads of the header with the sensor, it's a common problem on older cars. don't try to rethread the manifold either, it won't work, tried that on one of the cars before and failed.