General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 03:21 PM
PSD Fan
Unregistered
Default Oil leak.

I'm new to this Forum and have a problem. My daughter's 97 has a horrible oil leak (she has to add 1-2 qts every other day). Today I had it up on jackstands and there was so much oil covering the backside of the engine that I could not isolate the area. I decided to start the engine and check again since there would be oil pressure and saw oil flowing along the side of the block. There appears to be either a hose or a line going horizontally across the backside of the block between the oil filter and the intake that the oil is traveling along. I've done a Forum search and found that the oil pressure sending unit is on the backside and a common leak point. Are there any other areas that I should check? I've also read about leaking at the distributor but that area is fairly dry. I can't tell about the pan gasket until I clean it well.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:51 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If you could more pinpoint of the area of the leak would be helpful. You have the remain which would leak where the engine meets the trans and may look like the oil pan. There are seals in the front cover for cam, crank and balance shaft. The balance shaft seal had a campaign from Honda to replace it. The seals tend to come out of their bore and leak like crazy. The fix is a new seal and bracket or retainer to hold it in place. You already mentioned the oil sending unit but not the valve cover. You could take your Accord to the car wash and clean off the engine.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Can we assume it's a 4-cylinder engine?

That steel tube running along the back side of the engine is carrying anti-freeze from the thermostat to the waterpump, so that's not the source of an oil leak. Wherever it comes from, it's dripping onto that tube.

Yes, check the oil-pressure switch on the backside of the engine.
Also check the valve cover gasket?

Probably have to clean it up so you can actually see where it comes from.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:33 PM
PSD Fan
Unregistered

Pulled the oil pressure sensor and could blow air through it with my compressor. I've replaced it, started the engine (after changing oil & filter) and no leak noticed from there. It's going to be in the upper 30's in a couple of days here (12 degrees now) so I'm going to pressure wash the engine and look for other leaks. Valve cover gasket was replaced several months ago and there doesn't appear to be any fresh oil.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by PSD Fan
Pulled the oil pressure sensor and could blow air through it with my compressor...
There's your leak. With luck, that's the only one.