General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 12:34 AM
Default Oil leak help!

I've got a 98 Accord V6 EX with 120,500 miles. I had to drive from Indy to Chicago the other day and back, I got home at midnight and smelled something burning. I didn't have time to look at anything but when I got home there was a 1 foot diameter pool of oil where I had parked the night before. I crawled under my car and it was leaking on to the hot exhaust manifold (hence the smell). I took it to the dealer and they said the leak is coming from where the tranny mounts to the motor. Can't tell what it is. Could be a main seal, pressure port plug, cracked or porous block. They want $810 to take off the tranny and find the problem. It's only leaking a little, a couple of drops overnight.

Any thoughts? That's alot of money to put intothiscar, I am going to drive on it for awhile and see how bad it is. I was thinking I would be getting a new car in a year or so.

Is it safe to drive? I have quarts of oil in my trunk and will check it daily.

The real kicker is I got new plugs and plug wires put in as well as a fuel service done not 4 days before hand!
I doubt that has anything to do with it.

HELP!

Thanks,

Gschmelt

Old 03-19-2007, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Oil leak help!

Don't shoot the messenger; I have seen a few of them leak from the casting that holds the rear main seal where it mates to the block.
Usually it is a matter of removing it and resealing it with hondabond, but yes the trans needs to be pulled to get to it.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:59 PM

Daughters 96 EX , 131K, VTEC, same thing auto. Was wondering where the oil was going. She is on spring break from college, I crawled under there like I always do and it has started leaking more under there. Was like a drip that I thought maybe the oil pan gasket was leaking. How depressing, if I keep it it will need this and struts, in general I would replace upper CA, inner tie rods etc. Last year I had the T belt done and A/c done, I changed out radiator, t-stat, hoses, plugs wires, cap, and a new starter, tires, brakes. What is a father to do??? Car rides great as is. I looked in the chilton, I could do a lot of this but I know you need a tranny jack and a lift preferably. Wierd they have a lot on looking for leaks on the case, gaskets etc on the trans. I am guessing the automatic in 1996 in this car wasn't the best to begin with from a casting stand point. Saw a plate in the book with a big rubber ring that needs to be pressed in..probably something like that, but you have to remove the motor/trans. from each other. What would y'all do? She will need a car for 3 more years at minimum. I figure if the above guy is correct...a lot of $$ to repair what I need.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:59 PM

If it's that rear main seal then yes you need to drop the tranny.... I've never done a 96 accord but my buddy did his prelude which was the same motor and just ran it up onto some ramps and dropped the tranny out the bottom.... it's difficult yes but not impossible... Money wise I believe a shop will charge about 8 hours for a tranny R&R, your parts cost isn't going to be very expensive but labor cost depends on their rate.... I would make a guess at around $500-$600 to repair that problem at a reputable shop.... closer to $800 as mentioned above for a dealership to do it..... If you did it yourself I'd imagine parts cost is only going to be about $50.00 and it'll take you anywhere from 8 hours to 16 hours depending on what equipment you have on hand and how good you are with a wrench....

Old 03-20-2007, 09:25 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

there is a bulletin on this.. 01-009
leak could be from variuos parts . they jb weld or honda bond depending on where the leaky places are ,, the first thing you might have to do is clean it up real good, add some oil dye, run the car and see where the leak is at ,,
Honda has the tool to presuarize the oil system to see where the leak is at, they use the old v-tec testing tool ..

Old 03-21-2007, 12:01 AM

Ahh the ever popular bulletin! My T-Bird had a "Bulletin" that cost me also. Makes you wonder why they don't just admit they screwed up and bite the bullet and give you half for repair cost. I will see what happens. She will be back in May. Doesn't really go anywhere while she is there. Just filled it up with gas (29mpg) hiway and town....as I was getting out the friggin door handle inside broke from the plastic back--chrome looking handle ok.!! Is it an omen?? That should be fun to replace.....man...