General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak onto the timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 10:52 PM
Default Oil leak onto the timing belt

I just bought a 95 honda accord lx. I also have a 2000 ford expedition xlt which gets 10mpg which is the reason I bought the honda. I payed 1,100 for it with roughly 180,000 on it. I found out after getting my oil done at I have a leak onto my timing belt which is the reason why it's squealing like a pig. They say my timing belt cover is broken and that's why the oil got onto it. They told me 350 to eventually change the timing belt but I, wondering if anyone has had this issue and know where the leak could possibly be and how much it would cost to repair. I'm in college so that's why I bought it so cheap.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

You need to clear a few things up with your mechanic.

The timing belt cover doesn't do anything to seal the engine from oil leaks. Find out if they meant the valve cover. Also, the timing belt is hidden behind the timing belt cover, so are the two belts you can see the ones with oil on them?

There are some oil seals on the engine block that can leak.

Also, find out when the timing belt was last changed (date and mileage). That is important.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:59 AM
Almost A Senior Member

I agree with PAHonda. Where did you get your oil changed by the way? Was it a dealership or a quicklube place? Your mechanic? I'm somewhat wary.

They say my timing belt cover is broken and that's why the oil got onto it.
I have the same car. Can you actually check to find out how it's broken or if it even is? It's really easy. Open up the hood, find the cover on the right driver's side of the engine. If it's not there you should see a smooth belt. Take a look down that area too to see if you see the lower timing belt cover.

Do you know when the timing belt was last replaced? Can you check with the previous owner? If never replaced 180,000 is stretching the change interval and it should be changed pronto.

But before you do anything I would actually verify their claims first. The upper timing cover is circled in red. The lower timing cover is below it, towards the floor.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

I'm going to got out on a limb.....those that know me are going "what is new"

The lower timing belt cover can warp if the "seal/retainer" where the tb tensioner bolt pokes thru is not installed. What happens then is that one of the belts (alt, ps ?, can't remember - closest to engine) rubs a groove into the cover.

OP, open the hood and look where the inner most belt comes off the crank pulley. Forward of the crank pulley, up about two~three inches above the crank pulley, do you see a "slit" cut into the plastic tb cover?

Old 10-06-2012, 01:15 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Andrew7048
I found out after getting my oil done at I have a leak onto my timing belt which is the reason why it's squealing like a pig.
Take is somewhere else. My guess is that one of the accessory belts - power steering or alternator/AC compressor - is loose or worn out and it's squealing. Or just replace those belts yourself to see if the squealing goes away. Cheap and easy.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:12 PM

I have no clue when the last to me anything was done. I went to do my own oil change and I couldn't get the plug undone. So I took it to pepboys and I had them look at the belt as well. They told me I barely had any oil left and that's had an oil leak that got onto to the timing belt which is making it squeal every time I cold start it or idle. I paid to have them put the die in and tomorrow I'm going to have them tell me where the leak is at.they told me my timing belt cover is either broke or missing bc that's why the leak is getting on the timing belt. I'm gonna have my mechanic look at it as well.