General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Light issue.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 01:48 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Oil Light issue.

Hello, year, engine type, etc in signature.

Two weeks ago I changed the Oil and Oil Filter on my car. My car didn't have the manual inside of it so I looked up online how much oil it needs. I've gotten answers that say 4.2 Quarts is recommended on an Accord that isn't a EX (which apparently requires 4.5 Quarts? Not very sure if that is true or not). I put a Bosch Oil Filter and Mobil 1 10W-30 Oil.

I didn't have any issues until last weekend, the light came on a few times but always went away when I turned off the car, I know I put my car at risk for driving it. Though recently the light started coming on all the time at idle and then would start blinking. I checked my fluid level and it was fine, I checked if there was any leaks but nothing. Before the oil change the light wasn't on at all.

I read on a few other threads that it will most likely be the Oil Pressure Switch? I want to replace it myself but I also read somewhere that you need a special tool to remove it? Do I have to drain the oil to remove it or no? Would it be difficult to remove it?

Thanks in advance and any other information is appreciated.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Generally, the oil capacity for the LX is 4.0 U.S. quarts with filter change; however, I would go by the dipstick to be sure, and 5W-30 is the recommend oil viscosity for your car instead of 10W-30.

Although I wouldn't think the 10W-30 would cause the oil light to come on, I would recommend 5W-30. Mobil 1 is like $26 a jug at Walmart right now.

There is no special tools needed to replace the oil pressure switch, maybe a deep socket. You would remove the oil filter then the oil pressure switch, there shouldn't be too much oil coming out, as it is higher up than the oil pan. So, no need to drain it to remove it. If it is not the switch, it may be due to the oil pump; best way would be to test the oil pressure with a gauge.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the advice. I bought the piece. Though as a safety precaution I am going to drain the oil and put in 4 quarts this time, I'll definitely check the dipstick to make sure it is correct.

None of my father's deep sockets fit (I only have normal sockets atm), I'm going to try to remove it/re-install the new one with a wrench. Hopefully this fixes the issue.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:18 PM

Replace the filter with a honda filter and retest

Old 02-23-2012, 09:25 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

woo Hold on......no need to drain and put 4 qts ,, a little off ( low or high ) makes no difference ,,u can be a qt low and the lite still won't come on , and if it is 5w or 10w 30 it should not make the oil lite come on..

have you checked the level since you did the oil change? it could be the oil pressure switch but to be on the safe side you should chk the oil pressure ,,

Old 02-24-2012, 04:23 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I checked the oil level and honestly, I think I added more than 4 quarts now that I think about it, so I guess to me it was a good idea to drain it anyways and put the right amount. A mistake on my end.

Alright, I'll see if I can get a hold of a oil pressure gauge, see how much pressure we have in there. Though, to check the oil pressure won't I have to remove the switch and how much pressure should it be reading?

Last edited by LezPez; 02-24-2012 at 04:28 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Sorry for a late update.
It was the Oil Pressure Switch and now the light is off and everything is fine.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the update.

And for other people finding this thread in the future, it's always important to check the oil level on the dipstick after you're done. There's lots of reasons for more or less oil to drain out.